Tuesday, September 28, 2010

It wasn't this Aquarium


IMG_5602, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

We took a last minute trip to Gatlinburg this past weekend - we left Friday afternoon and came back Sunday. The drive ( 5 hours ) wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the traffic between Sevierville and Gatlinburg.

We stayed at a motel not too far from the aquarium so we were in walking distance from the main strip. Brenden is finally old enough to really enjoy aquariums - he liked the Believe it or Not museum not so much but I always get a cheesy kick out of it. I always end up thinking about that X-Files episode, "Humbug", especially when we pass the Fiji Mermaid exhibit.

Brenden's favorite thing in town however was an arcade that gave tickets for some of the games. On sunday before we left he spent his tickets (that took about $20 to collect) and received a cup full of trinkets worth about 90 cents. He had fun though so I don't really care.

I once read that The Gatlinburg - Pigeon Forge area is considered to be one of the worst places to go on vacation. I dunno, we have fun. And the people - both the residents and tourists - tend to be nice people and even I don't have a hard time talking to them. Brenden made instant friends several times. Photos soon come.

6 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I went to Gatlinburg when I was a kid and I loved it. Haven't been since then. Anthony LOVES arcades, and the tickets for the cheap plastic toys.

Unknown said...

Hey Nancy:

It's a great place for families with young kids. And it's (relatively) budget-friendly. If you ever go, find out about the back ways in though because traffic is horrible.

Lisa Erin said...

I visited Gatlinburg MANY times when I was younger. Think the majority of the trips were with my Tennessee relatives...the 'cousins'. If you haven't experienced it, you should give 'Hillbilly Golf' a go. It has been there for more than 40 years, I would imagine. I was a young whipper-snapper when I went there, so that should be about right.

Unknown said...

Hey Lisa:

My first visit to Gatlinburg, back in 2000, we played Hillbilly Golf! Loved it (because I won).

Ileana said...

So glad you are having a good time....Whatever happened to Farmville????I kind of miss you taking over my fb page...hahaha....Hope my boy is happy at school....lol

Unknown said...

Hi, Ilu:

I'm still playing - the Facebook people moved some things around because a lot of people get annoyed from the Farmville spam.

Brenden is enjoying himself at school - I think he loves being around so many people his own age. So far his behavior hasn't been an issue at all.

Hope you and dad are enjoying the cool weather!