Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Boo boos R Us


Gatorade, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Saturday afternoon Brenden runs up to me and yells "ICE CREAM TRUCK!!" again so I grab some cash and we ran out of the house, only to see the truck turn the corner out of our subdivision. Brenden was inconsolable. I even offered to take him to Dairy Queen, but he didn't want ice cream unless it came from the ice cream truck.

On the hope the truck had driven into the subdivision across the street from ours, we walked over there and followed the truck's jingle to their location. Brenden was happy again. Yay! Disaster averted!

Sunday Brenden managed to both bite his tongue hard enough to draw blood and cut his thumb with a knife. It wasn't a good day. Fortunately I had a spare ice cream sandwich to console him.

Monday Jon, B, and I went over to Lake Guntersville with some friends and boated around. It was nothing much to write about but it was enjoyable. We all went to a seafood restaurant afterwards and Jon and I both saw 'bacon-wrapped jumbo shrimp' on the menu and jumped. It was the worst shrimp I had ever had in my life. What a shame.

Did I mention that I gave myself some serious 2nd degree burns about a week ago? It involved frying some pork chops in smoking-hot bacon grease. I splashed some on my index and middle finger on my left hand. Yes, not much is happening.

3 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

Did you put aloe on it?

I wish we had an ice-cream truck around here! That's a very happy memory from childhood.

Topcat said...

Hey Nancy:

I have a lot of happy ice cream truck memories, too. That's why I found it impossible to deny B a tasty frozen treat before dinner.

I didn't have any aloe, which I should rectify. The affected area was a nice crispy brown (so I wonder if that qualifies as 3rd degree) until it bubbled up a few days later. It looked nasty and felt awful.

Anonymous Me said...

I'm sorry that happened to you. A burn is the worst pain. And it lasts so long! A couple years ago, I poured some boiling water on my hand. The pain seemed to last for hours. One of my students once fried her hand like you did. It looked BAD. I got her an aloe plant, and taped a big hunk of it, cut open, onto the burn. She said it healed up quickly and by the time I saw it again, no scar.

If we had an ice-cream truck here, I wouldn't deny Anthony either - after having the requisite ten-minute conversation with the vendor about his allergy. Fun..