Thursday, September 02, 2010

We all scream


IMG_5892, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Last night Brenden was helping his dad wash the Jeep while I was getting dinner ready. All of a sudden B bursts into the house yelling "Ice cream truck! ICE CREAM TRUCK! I NEED MONEY!!!"

Well how could I deny him? I went outside and gave Jon some cash. Yes, just before dinner. What about it?

The rest of the night Brenden would occasionally say "the ice cream truck is SO AWESOME!"

We all remember from our childhood that it most certainly is.


I forgot to mention this: 2 weekends ago Brenden and I went to this day camp thing for diabetic children (no, Brenden isn't diabetic, but a friend is). Despite the heat, Brenden had a great time: he played games, rode a horse (I watched from a good distance), paddled a canoe, and he got to fire a real rifle.

It was a .22 caliber single shot something - the rifle was chained down with the muzzle through a ring bolted to a horizontal beam so it could never be pointed any where except down range. The instructor showed Brenden how to pull the bolt back, un-do the safety, and load the ammo and Brenden took to it like a duck to water. At the end of the day the firing range was almost empty so B got to shoot 5 or 6 times (5 bullets each time) and he only hit a target once. I tried to show him how to line up the sights but he didn't catch onto that. The few times I did see where his bullet hit he was 2 or 3 feet high.

I got to shoot once and grouped my shots (except 1) nicely about 2 inches to the right of the bullseye. I could tell I was hitting the target but I couldn't tell where. I need glasses again desperately!

3 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

Good for you! I would have bet you're a good marksman because you're able to be calm and patient while you take aim.

Lisa Erin said...

I haven't been to a range in a long time. Last time I visited one was with my dad, and we blasted away at some man shaped targets with a couple of his guns. (One of them he wanted me to have in my apartment...it was a heavy and quite formidable .45. I had it for awhile, but ended up giving it back to him. I have no problem with having a gun, it was just a little too much gun for me. It had more kick than I would have liked.) Anyway, he put a fresh target on the clip and sent it down the zip line (we were in an indoor range out in CA). He told me to aim for something vital, and I squeezed off a shot. He brought the target back and there was a perfectly placed clean hole...right through the crotch. lol That was a fun time.

Aviator said...

Lisa, please watch this important public service announcement. Its purpose will be immediately apparent.

Ed

Important PSA