Thursday, July 01, 2010


IMG_6396, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

On Nancy's recommendation we went and saw Toy Story 3. Wow, Pixar is getting REAL GOOD at making me cry! And cheer, and laugh. I've only seen it once so it's too early to say, but I think this one is easily as good as the first two and maybe the best of the three. The funny scenes are Pixar-perfect hilarious, but there are truly bleak, horrific, and heartwrenching (and heartwarming) scenes.

Seriously, someone finally broke the 3rd movie curse (remember Godfather III, Superman III, Terminator III, Alien 3, Spiderman 3, Jaws 3 etc etc etc? Some of these movies aren't bad, but none of them hold a candle to their predecessors).

So here Andy is grown up and going to college. He's preserved his favorite toys (Buzz, Woody, Jessie, Bullseye, Hamm, Mr. and Mrs. Potato head, Rex and Slinky Dog) and they spend their days in a trunk pathetically scheming to get Andy to pay attention to them. Andy's mom insists he totally clean out his room and so he has some hard decisions to make when it comes to his toy collection. They all end up at a daycare that isn't all it seems.

I'm not going to spoil it, but here are some random thoughts:

- This installment seems to have more high-octane nightmare fuel, far worse than Sid's room in #1 and the Airport in #2. Between the cymbal monkey and the baby doll I'm going to have bad dreams for a month.

- I *knew* Care Bears are evil! But typical Pixar, the Evil Bad GuyToy's backstory gives a good explanation of why he is the way he is and even makes him sympathetic.

-I never *ever* thought I would say this: Barbie is awesome! Ken is sweet too, if you know what I mean.

I really can't discuss more without spoiling it. I want to see it again right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

I'm glad you liked it as much as I thought you would. For me, it was the best of the three. I want to see it again, too. That baby WAS pretty disturbing!