Monday, June 29, 2009

Orange Noms


Orange Noms, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

I took Brenden to my mom's house this weekend (no photos - I forgot to pack the camera). Brenden has wanted to fish since we went there last time so Mom and Price rigged him up a very nice child-sized rod & reel. The reel is a fixed spool type, where you have to hold onto the line, flip the bail open, then let go as you cast. I had to look that up on Google. Google is my friend!

They rigged it up to fish with a cork and bait, which means you cast it then you wait. Brenden wanted to cast and reel it in, cast and reel it in, etc. We went out on their boat, but it was so stifling hot we didn't stay long. Brenden kept busy for a good hour though. Me, I got heat exhaustion. Also I had to convince Brenden he did not want to keep a dead minnow and fortunately Price caught a catfish so B's attention was deflected enough that I threw the poor fish over with only a little whining from el jefe.

Sunday morning when it was still relatively cool, I set up my reel again with a dead minnow (they were all dead from the heat by then) and went about teaching Brenden how to cast properly. The rod & reel are perfect for a little guy - he got some good casts in, but getting him to let go of the line consistently so it would be thrown forward was tricky.

I finally noticed that something was on my line (fortunately Mom and Price have rod holders on their dock) so I reeled in a nice-sized catfish. Brenden was very excited about that. He totally loves the concept of fishing but he has the patience of a ferret on meth.

On our way home Brenden got bubblegum in his hair. We were pulled over on a service ramp on the highway and I was trying to use an ice pack to get the gum cold enough to get off his hair and poor Brenden was crying hysterically. I actually said "what in the world possessed you to put gum in your hair?"

Like I never did that when I was a kid.

That was our weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

Fun! Maybe in the fall we could join you? I'd love to take Anthony fishing, but I have no idea what to do.

I've heard that peanut butter will get gum out of hair, but I've never tried it. Scissors will definitely do it. :-)

Topcat said...

That would be fun! There are tons of places to fish in our neck of the woods. Fishing is easy. You bait your hook, throw it out, and sit and wait. Some people try to make it complicated.

I saw a mythbusters where they tried all the remedies. Ice works best as you freeze it so the gum breaks off. Scissors do work better. Peanut butter just makes a mess worse!

Helly said...

I keep coming back to look at the orange noms picture.

Have y'all seen the Simpsons episode (I think it's in "22 Short Films About Springfield") where Bart gets gum in Lisa's hair? They try peanut butter, freezing it, hitting with it a hammer and (shudder, Nancy!)mayonnaise to get it out.

Topcat said...

Helly: I love this photo! Brenden can take some good pictures. He gave them some of his mandarin orange slices for some reason and they licked them to pieces.

I haven't seen a Simpsons episode since I left college, which is odd because I loved that show. Mayo? Eww.