Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Stuff plus Random Old Photo


Spooky, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

I took last Friday off and drove with Brenden over to my mom's house. She turned 70(!) this year and we haven't seen her in a while. Brenden took one look at the lake and desperately wanted to go fishing. I desperately wanted to rest from all that driving. We compromised with a boat ride (thanks, Price!)

Mom had cataract surgery and is seeing just fine. She was surprised at how tall Brenden is and we talked about the only tall people in our family (her dad, and her dad's dad) and we both wonder if he will inherit those genes. God knows nobody else did. She says she can see some of her dad in Brenden, which is very cool considering he was KIA in WW2 (she was 5).

We stayed overnight then drove to Nancy's in Athens for a visit. Brenden is about an inch taller than Anthony now. Except for one incident with a wooden gate they played well together and I even tried trusting them to be alone. I actually got to watch a whole movie - Working Girls, by Mike Leigh (whom I got confused with Stephen Frears). It's a small film about two women who become friends during college and a reunion they have six years later. It definitely passes the Beschdel test with flying colors! While they do talk about men, it's not the only topic. Good movie!

While I was there I was incapable of not gushing about the new Star Trek movie and fortunately when Nancy and her mom went to see it they were just as entertained as I was.

That drive just sucks. Actually it's not that bad it's just the suckage that is Atlanta traffic. Starfleet needs to perfect their transporters so I can go see every one more often.

Monday night Jon and I watched Yes Man with Jim Carrey. Don't bother.

2 comments:

Lisa Erin said...

Wow, 70! Happy belateds to your mom. She was always one of the youngest people I knew. Cool gal!

Anonymous Me said...

Career Girls, actually, in case you want to see it again. I watched Vera Wang on Sunday - sad movie! Is it any better, or much longer, to travel via Chattanooga?