Sunday, December 07, 2008

Part 6:


J is for Julie Andrews, originally uploaded by Rafa from Brazil.

Before I continue: Wow, Nancy - I just scanned the list and the movies mentioned, and except for Firefly and Aliens, I can't say if any others pass the Beschdel test! That's pathetic....

50. Quint - Jaws (Robert Shaw): Yes, definitely! Bruce the Shark should be here too, expecially if they're going to let characters like Jigsaw on the list.

49. Walter Sobchak - The Big Lebowski (John Goodman): If Walter made the list then you know the Dude is on here too. I tried to watch this movie twice and both times I gave up, bored and unamused. Any character from any given Joel And Ethan Coen movie should be here instead. I nominate Nicholas Cage, whom I dislike, when he played Hi in Raising Arizona because it's the only role I can stand him in.

48. Tony Stark - Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr): It's way waaay to early to see if he sticks as a memorable character! Insert my obligatory grumbling about the decided lack of Spider-man here.

47. Blade - Blade (Wesley Snipes): SPIDER-MAN, SPIDER-MAN! DOES WHATEVER A SPIDER CAN!!!

46. Anton Chigurh - No Country For Old Men (Javier Bardem): I haven't seen this movie yet. Joel and Ethan Coen always are either really good or just plain not watchable to me. When they're good though they rock. I heard Tommy Lee Jones is in this one so I'll nominate TLJ's Marshall from The Fugitive.

45. Amelie Poulain - Amelie(Audrey Tautou): When I watch foreign movies, people usually get shot, or their heads are ripped off by monsters, ninjas, or kung-fu monks so I admit I haven't seen this movie. Let's see... my favorite subtitled movie that can't even remotely be classified as action... hmm... (fail)

44. Peter Venkman - Ghostbusters (Bill Murray): Venkman is a classic character but we the audience are supposed to love him but I think he's a smarmy asshole. Venkman is what I picture Ferris Bueller growing up to be.

43. The Man With No Name - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (Clint Eastwood): An icon, to be sure. If I were to place a Clint Eastwood character on the list it would be Dirty Harry Callahan but of course he's rightly further on up.

42. Alex DeLarge - A Clockwork Orange (Malcolm McDowell): I had to wash the slime off after watching this movie. I'm not not not a Kubrick fan, unless you mention Spartacus. Speaking of, where the hell is Kirk Douglas when you need him?

41. Mary Poppins - Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews): Nancy asked me recently if I like musicals. I had to realize that I do. I blame my upbringing. I saw a lot of musicals both on stage and the screen when I was little. Maybe I might put Robert Preston from the Music Man here, but I like Julie Andrews. Really!

No comments: