Saturday, December 06, 2008

Part 5


Screen 18, originally uploaded by persephonetravel.

60. Ace Ventura - Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (Jim Carrey): Oh, please. OK, I laughed.

59. Tommy Devito - Goodfellas (Joe Pesci): One of my favorite movies and Devito is a perfect blend of psycho and asshole! Good choice!

58. Rick Blaine - Casablanca (Humphrey Bogart): I like Humphrey Bogart, and I once (1985) went on a Bogart binge. I fell more in love with Lauren Bacall. I'm glad to see something early from this list. Speaking of early, where is King Kong, or Frankenstein's monster, or his bride for that matter?

57. Brick Tamland - Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy (Steve Carrell): I should be happy that one of Steve's characters is on the list. But for absolutely retarded characters, why isn't Peter Seller's Chance the Gardner on this list (or Inspector Clouseau! WTF?).

56. Juno MacGuff - Juno (Ellen Page): Ok ok ok, already! I'll go rent this sometime. Then I'll decide if she belongs on the list. Nice to see another woman though.

55. Lt. Frank Drebin - The Naked Gun (Leslie Nielsen): I'm surprised the 11th graders they polled for this list remember good old Frank. On the other hand this movie and its sequels are constantly available on the "premium" movie channels. My favorite Leslie Nielsen movie is of course Airplane and I nominate Otto the autopilot as the most memorable character.

54. Luke Skywalker - Star Wars (Mark Hammill): Ah, good old Luke, who inherited his daddy's whiny genes. Fortunately Luke grew out of them. His dad had to have his legs cut off & set on fire before he quit whining.

53. Luke - Cool Hand Luke (Paul Newman): Agreed! Another movie that should be on everyone's to watch list.

52. George Bailey - It's A Wonderful Life (Jimmy Stuart): Well, of course! I used to watch this every Christmas but sometime in the 90's I realized I had had enough. I'll watch A Christmas Story though (any bets if TBS is going to give it the 24-hour treatment again?) so I nominate the constantly cussing dad (Darren McGavin) even though Jimmy Stuart is one of my favorite old-era actors.

51. Mal Reynolds - Serenity (Nathan Fillion): I was surprised that he made the list but I'll take it, although I preferred Zoe (Gina Torres, one of my favorite T.V. actors) and Wash (Alan Tudyk). I really liked Mal and Zoe's relationship - how many Brothers-in-arms forged in a war relationships did you ever see between a man and a woman in movies or on T.V? The episode where Wash was insanely jealous of their bond is my favorite.

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

The actress who played Zoe is almost freakishly beautiful, which is my only complaint about her character. I agree with everything you said. I like Kaley a lot, too. You've already commented that it passes the Bechtel test, right? How many of these do . . .?

I agree with you on Airplane. My vote for best character is June Cleaver, "I speak Jive."