Friday, December 05, 2008

List Part Three:


Fargo (1996), originally uploaded by rattlingdjs.

80. Norman Bates - Psycho (Anthony Perkins): He's about the only psycho who should be on the list. Ok I agree with the aforementioned Patrick Bateman and yes Hannibal Lector deserves the recognition, but Norman Bates should be way way way higher in ranking!

79. Boba Fett - The Empire Strikes Back: Here's my choice for this position: CHEWBACCA! WTF Boba Fett but no CHEWBACCA! Total FAIL here.

78. Axel Foley - Beverly Hills Cop (Eddie Murphy): Another Meh choice, but he is a highly recognizable character. More recognizable than the next guy:

77. Ed - Shaun Of The Dead (Nick Frost): Hey I love this zombie romantic comedy as much as the next zombie movie lover, but if we're going to have a memorable character from a zombie movie, how about Barbara or Ben from Night of the Living Dead? Hell, I liked Shaun more than Ed (an exception to my assholes are more interesting rule). Bonus points though for the most poignant fart ever committed to celluloid.

76. Dr. Emmett Brown - Back To The Future (Christopher Lloyd): Doc Brown! Heck yeah! He should be way higher on the list - much, much higher even than the #1 guy on the list. I'll grind that axe when I get there.

75. Marge Gunderson - Fargo (Frances McDormand): One of my favorite characters of all time!

74. E.T. - E.T.: Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. Meh meh meh meh meh! My favorite alien: Michael Rennie's alien in the original The Day the Earth Stood Still. Or James Arness as the Carrot Monster in the original The Thing. Or Joe Morton's Brother from Another Planet.

73. Jack Torrance - The Shining (Jack Nicholson): He's another actor who has more than one character on this list. His other character deserves it more, though. As for this one... sigh. I suppose he's an extremely recognizable character, but I really really really really HATED what Stanley Kubrick did with Stephen King's book here. Jack in the book was tragic and terrifying, Torrance in this movie is just a psycho schmuck. And kudos for keeping his Joker off the list!

72. V - V for Vendetta (Hugo Weaving): Hugo's 2nd character. Agent Smith should have been much higher on the list. I'm not sure V should be on it at all. But then again I didn't much like this movie. With all the characters based on comic books on this list I was kind of sad to see everyone has forgotten Brandon Lee's character in The Crow.

71. Snake Plissken - Escape From New York (Kurt Russell): Justice is served! I love ol' Snake but I heard he was dead. I have a soft spot in my brain for Kurt Russell's Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China too.

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

I would nominate C-3P0 for best Star Wars character. I would have put Norman Bates way higher on the list. ET, bleh. I never liked that movie all that much. I remember going to see it in high school and the theater was so crowded my friends and I couldn't even find seats together. Frances McDormand in Fargo - awesome. But Steve Buscemi, too, in that movie.