Thursday, December 04, 2008

2nd Installment


Dracula Prince of Darkness, originally uploaded by skookums.


First, here's my response to Alan's comment (becuase I can't put comments on Blogger blogs at work - sheesh!): The only drawback to HDTV is how lame normal TV looks afterwards! You'll love it. WALL-E is especially remarkable because the detail, like the organized junk in Wall-e's home, is spectacularly OCD.

I totally don't remember where I saw Toy Story nor who I was with. I do remember having to search around on the floor afterwards for my lower jaw and eyeballs, though!

Brenden told me 3 times he wants a baby for Christmas. All righty then.

On with the Show (next 10 of Empire's Greatest Movie Character list):


90. The Wicked Witch Of The West - The Wizard Of Oz: She's definitely an icon, but I would have thought Dorothy would have made this list, too. Sadly no - very few women characters are on this list.

89. Princess Leia Organa - Star Wars (Carrie Fisher): Many Star Wars characters made this list and I have no problem with any of them except Boba Fett. I'll wait until I get to him to rant about that. But I will rant about the 5 Star Wars and why no Star Trek. I know it started as a series but since they let Mal Reynolds on the list (!! and hooray), where the hell is KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

88. Jessica Rabbit - Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Amy Irving and Kathleen Turner): No problem here, either. I'm thinking back to the movie which I haven't seen in ages and I have to admit she's the most memorable even over Roger. Has anyone noticed this movie never garnered a sequel? Hooray!

87. Dracula - Dracula (Christopher Lee): I'm happy they chose the Hammer Films incarnation of Dracula. The fact that Empire is a Brit magazine probably has somethng to do with it. I'm no fan of vampires so I'm sure everyone knows I would have chosen Bill Paxton's vampire, Severen, from Near Dark. But I do prefer Lee's Dracula over Bela Lugosi's, Frank Langella's and definitely Gary Oldman's. Why? Lee's Dracula has the charisma but he is also a SCARY MONSTER which a lot of people tend to forget about vampires.

86. Roy Batty - Blade Runner (Rutger Hauer): I am so meh about this choice. He's definitely the most vivid character in this movie (Harrison Ford's Decker is a bit of a plank). I've liked this movie since it came out but I'll admit it has problems. I don't think director Ridley Scott let the theme show through enough (what does it mean to be human, duh) and I think the scene when Roy discovered his humanity a few minutes before he died didn't have the punch it needed. In the hands of a director who wasn't so absorbed in style it may have had more of an impact. Good story, good cast, poorly executed.

85. Vincenzo Coccotti - True Romance (Christopher Walken): I'm not sure I would have chosen this gangster as my favorite Christopher Walken character. That would be Christopher Walken his own bad self.

84. Agent Smith - The Matrix (Hugo Weaving): Hugo has 2 characters on this list. Not bad for a little-known Australian actor! I bet you think I'm going to mention Priscilla, Queen of the Desert here, aren't you? Well, I'm not!

83. Mr. Blonde - Reservoir Dogs (Micheal Madsen): Mr. Blonde made the list but Mr. Pink was more interesting. Many psychos made the list but not enough assholes made it. I think assholes are a lot more interesting than psychos (actually I guess that's why I'm O.K with Patrick Bateman being on the list because he is the most psychotic asshole in movies outside of Andrew Robinson's Scorpio from the original Dirty Harry). Also I was miffed that no Steve Buscemi character made it.

82. Marv - Sin City (Mickey Rourke): I dunno about this one - Love the movie and the character is certainly memorable, and can't argue that he's the most memorable. Still, few comic book characters made the list but I'll reserve my rant for the next entry:

81. Wolverine - X-Men (Huge Ackman): WTF is Wolverine doing here - ? Where is Tobey MaGuire's Spiderman? For that matter, have people forgotten Christopher Reeve's Superman so fast? The list is heavily weighted towards movies made in the last 10 - 20 years and I got the impression that the list was decided on in via a poll. Apparently the average age of those polled was 17. But still where the hell is Spiderman?!!?

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

I saw Toy Story the first time with you, but I think it was your third. I couldn't believe how much I liked it.

Christopher Walken, his own bad self - best character ever. :-)