Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Bald Eagle


Bald Eagle, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

I'm totally inspired by this list! I agree with some and am having ZOMGWTF moments at others. I'm going to break up this project in 10 parts.

I'll list a few alternates but they aren't in order. I'm just making knee-jerk observations about Empire's list.

Here's their first, er last, 10:

100. Martin Riggs - Lethal Weapon (Mel Gibson): Can't argue with him being on the list. He took the "outside the rules" renegade cop cliche and gave it a nice suicidal pathetic spin. Too bad the director, Richard Donner, didn't do anything good with his character.

99. Hal-9000 - 2001: A Space Odyssey: I'm in agreement here. Creepy and iconic. Totally belongs.

98. Charles Foster Kane - Citizen Kane (Orson Welles): Very few older movie characters show up on this list. Just to be contrarian, I like Harry Lime from The Fifth man much better.

97. Clarice Starling - The Silence Of The Lambs(Jody Foster): Total agreement!

96. Ethan Edwards - The Searchers (John Wayne): I guess they had to stick a John Wayne character here somewhere. My vote goes to Rooster Cogburn from True Grit.

95. Freddy Krueger - A Nightmare On Elm Street (Robert Englund): No argument. He's an icon. I was happy to see that non-entity Jason Voorhees missing from the list. At least ol Krueger has a personality.

94. Buzz Lightyear - Toy Story (Tim Allen): Woody!!! I told you this was knee jerk. See the Randal graves entry for why I like Woody better - he's a bit of an asshole, RLY.

93. Martin Q. Blank - Grosse Pointe Blank (John Cusack): If you are going to list a John Cusack character I think I like his Lane Meyer from Better Off Dead. And If I'm going to mention that movie I'll also mention Curtis Armstrong's Charles De Mar ("Go that way, very fast. If something gets in your way, turn!"). But if I'm going to mention Curtis Armstrong I have to mention Booger from Revenge of the Nerds. So he's my pick. No pun intended.

92. Randal Graves - Clerks (Jeff Anderson): This list ain't so bad after all! Most people I bet would pick Jay and Silent Bob (yes, they count as 1 character) but Randal Graves is a total asshole and I have a weakness for assholes in movies (as you might know but I promise if you stick with me you will find out).

91. Scarlett O'Hara - Gone With The Wind(Vivien Leigh): Another token old character. Actually I can't complain about this addition. Scarlett was a bit of an asshole, chasing that Ashley wuss and totally ignoring what she had in front of her.

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

Oooh, that is a fun list. I should make my own and compare notes. If I can come up with that many. But Booger, hell yes. Definitely. I like Woody better than Buzz Lightyear, too.