Monday, September 22, 2008

Short Subjects


B Fun 2, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

I hope everyone enjoyed 'DrinkTalk like a Pirate' last Friday. I did not because I'm sticking to my diet and beer does a number on my resolve.

Fall is my favorite time of year in Alabama. Winter is cold without the fun of snow, Spring is tempermental with the tornado sirens going off at least once a week, and Summers are sticky hot. Fall means cool mornings, tolerably warm days, and pleasant evenings. And lower power bills.

Brenden and I went to the nearby park Sunday morning. I noticed, as I have many times recently, that my nose is working at almost %100 capacity. After going so long without a sense of smell it is still a novelty to be able to smell the grass, trees, even the stagnant water in the creek and the mold and mildew on the park benches. Paradoxically it's easier for me to eat less now because I smell more. I had a tough time when I couldn't smell controlling my eating and I think it was because I had to eat a ton of food to get any flavor at all.

Another paradox: when I get that urge to snack I read cookbooks. For some reason it curbs my desire to eat. Not because I'm revolted; matter of fact I usually get to planning the week's dinners. But I don't snack.

Brenden is exhibiting better control of his bodily functions. We are going to bite the bullet and take the gate off of his door this evening and encourage him to go to the bathroom at night by himself. Jon is stressing that he will get into the kitchen and do something silly like chop onions or something so we'll put the gate on the kitchen at night. I figure if B tries to climb that the ensuing crash will be enough to wake us up.

1 comment:

Helly said...

You have a hot tub and a pool. I am envious of that as well as your bill-paying prowess.