Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I blame the drugs


sleepy, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

I'm being somewhat slack and for that I apologize (drugs). I haven't written in over a week and truthfully nothing has really happened (drugs). The almost last fill of my expander was quite painful so I have been using aggressive pain management techniques (drugs). Work is good but slow (drugs-you get the idea by now).

The doc will add 20 ccs more of fluid to my expander in a couple of weeks just to top it off, then we will let gravity do some work before the implant operation. I thought the doctor was going to do this in two to three weeks, but apparently it will be at least 6 months before that operation. That's something to look forward to because I'm just about drugged out and plan to spend next week complaining about how crummy I feel because I'm no longer on drugs.

My brother Jonathan got a job in New York (congrats, bro!). Ileana drove back to Oklahoma from Tampa (she was helping him get his stuff together to move) and she stayed over on Wednesday. Brenden of course had fun. He will be BFFs with anyone who will play with him - he's not picky at all. I hope he's like that when he gets older.

Jon and I took Brenden to the Chattanooga aquarium last Sunday pretty much on a whim. I forgot the camera (drugs). Brenden behaved fairly well - we brought the monkey but we never had to use it. Jon and I think the penguins and the otters are the niftiest things. I think the jellyfish and the sea horses are pretty neat, too. Speaking of penguins, in our neverending effort to spoil the crap out of B we let him pick out something from the gift shop and he chose the fattest stuffed penguin I have ever seen. I need to post a photo of it.

Brenden's babysitter finally had her baby. She and Cy (after Cy Young, which is way cool) are doing well. In the meantime Jon and I are switching off on watching Brenden. I stayed home yesterday and I congratulate myself on not throttling El Jefe. I did a full sweep and mop of the house and ended up banishing him to his room because he kept trying to skid through the dirt. I ignored all the noises emanating from his bedroom as I hurried to finish the mopping. I was astonished as he casually walked into the kitchen at one point - had he finally learned how to open the baby gate?

It turns out he had gotten on one of his riding toys and had used it as a battering ram and had forced the gate off the door. I was too proud of his cleverness to whale the tar out of him. The boy may not say much that's coherent but there's nothing wrong with his problem-solving firmware.

A couple of more Brenden milestones - he ordered for himself from the kid menu at Denny's on Sunday! It was a couple of pancakes. He ended up eating Jon's sausage and my scrambled eggs instead but there you go.

I have actually watched a couple of movies lately but I'll comment on this one first -

The Bourne Ultimatum - I love the Bourne movies. I rarely like a movie better than the book but the Bourne trilogy is a lot of fun and far more entertaining (to me) than the Ludlum books. I like them better than any Bond movie and you all know how much I like those (I strongly suspect that it's because there's a decent human somewhere in Jason Bourne but James Bond is a through and through jackass).

Anyway the Bourne movies follow a pattern - lots of action, Matt Damon cuteness and angst, and quality character actors to anchor the movies:
Chris Cooper and Brian Cox (Bourne Identity)
Brian Cox and Joan Allen (Bourne Supremacy)
David Strathairn, Scott Glenn, Albert Finney and Joan Allen(Bourne Ultimatum).

They also have strong woman characters who always end up supporting Bourne (Allen, Franka Potente and Julia Stiles. Yes, I ended up liking Stiles' character after the 3rd Movie).

The only thing I missed in the 3rd movie was a hottie assassin trying to take out Bourne. Clive Owen tried to off Jason in Identity and Karl Urban tried in Supremacy. Some guy went after him in the 3rd movie of course but I didn't know him from Adam and he wasn't hot. That was my only disappointment.

No comments: