Friday, December 21, 2007

Letter to Brenden Month 30



xmastree, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Sorry this is late, bud. I blame the drugs!

If I could differentiate this month from the last 35 months, I think I would have to say that I finally realized that when I talk to you it no longer feels like I'm talking to the cat.

What I mean is you seem to understand us! Your vocabulary is growing slowly, but your comprehension has improved a thousandfold.

For instance, your dad asked you to "throw the ice cream carton away and put the spoon in the sink" a few nights ago. You took both, ran to the kitchen, and hesitated. We waited to see what you would do. You had a false start, but then you threw the carton away and put the spoon in the sink. Hooray! Damn, the cat just stares at me when I tell him to move his fat butt.

Not that you always obey me - matter of fact you are 'asserting your independence' more than ever. Thus I have shifted the nature of punishments. I now confiscate your beloved trains and the agony you experience teaches you valuable life lessons. Either that or you plot revenge against me with kitty, I'm not sure which yet.

I love you honey.

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

Love that white tree!