Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Surgeon consultation # 1:


B's jacket, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.


I haven't learned anything new; just some technical terms for my condition. Apparently there are 15 types of breast cancer, and I have one of the most common forms called Ductal Carcinoma in Situ which means the cancer is in the breast ducts, and is non invasive (hasn't left the ducts yet). The reason I'm having a simple mastectomy of my right breast is because the indicator for DCIS is microcalcifications (exactly what it sounds like) showing up in a mammogram. I saw the mammogram yesterday and it looked like my boob was hit with really tiny buckshot all over the place.

The mastectomy will be simple, in other words there should be no muscle removed. 4 or 5 'sentinel' lymph nodes will be removed for biopsy. Those are the lymph nodes that would be the first to receive drainage from the tumor(s).

The mastectomy is the easy part; the harder part will be the reconstructive surgery. I have an appointment this afternoon with the plastic surgeon who will be performing the operation, and I have basically decided this: I do not muscle from another part of my body used to help reconstruct my breast because I am really bothered by the idea of becoming weaker just to look normal. Therefore I am going to ask for an implant. The funny thing is to make things even he might suggest an implant for the other breast.

If he is dead set against an implant, and I am dead set against using muscle, there is a third option which involves shaping the breast from the back, stomach, or butt tissue but involves no muscle tissue. If he can't perform this operation (it's a relatively new procedure), I may do one of 2 things - go ahead and have the mastectomy but hold off on reconstruction for a while until I can find a doctor who can. Or I may simply go out of Decatur to find some surgeons who can give me what I want.

It's simply a matter of time. As of now, it looks like I'm going to have the operation after Thanksgiving but before the beginning of next month. Stay tuned....

Oh PS: The diet -

By the way, I'm sticking to low carbohydrates, although I'm not restricting them as much. I deliberately ate some candy Friday (I figured what the hell) but it made me feel bad. I decided to add fruit to my diet, and eat more overall. I was surprised when I weighed in at 136 this morning.

I definitely don't want to stress out my body when I start recuperating by trying to lose weight but I enjoy how well I think and feel too much to start eating high carb again. I have to make it a point to eat more.

3 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

What I've heard from other people about breast reconstruction: my cousin had an implant after a mastectomy, but left the other breast alone. Eventually she had one, normal saggy 50-year-old boob, and one perky 15-year-old boob. A coworker's mom had a breast reconstructed from belly fat - she got a less firm result, but as she was older, she was okay with it. It's interesting to hear about the options. I hope you can get what you want.

Anonymous said...

I should think the waiting is difficult. I truly want a 'do over' for this entire rotten year.
I shall hold you close to my heart until you are all recovered.

mikey

Topcat said...

Thank you Mikey;

I can't wait to give this year the boot. And the waiting isn't too bad. My biggest fear is if the surgeon finds more than he is expecting, so I don't mind the 12 day wait.

-Sandy