Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Back from Tennessee


cessnamark
Originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Jon, B, and I flew to the Sieverville airport last Friday in our 182. General Aviation has its advantages - we took a 5-hour drive in about 1 hour 45 minutes. Monkey Boy loved it - for about 10 minutes then he fell asleep for the whole trip. It only took him 2 minutes to fall asleep on the way back.

I didn't do much - we invited a couple we knew through skydiving and we all went to Gatlinburg on Saturday to the aquarium. It's a nifty one - you can walk through the main tanks through these plexiglass tunnels and they have sharks and other kewl fishes to stare at. Brenden had no idea what he was looking at, but because we use a baby backpack, he gets to look at everything instead of people's butts like he would if he was in a stroller.

The highlight of the visit was when Brenden winged his Spongebob sippy cup into one of the tanks. It was funny, but I was appropriately contrite when we asked some people who worked there to fish it out for us.

Saturday and Sunday I just felt awful still, but the good news was I could smell! Of course downtown Gatlinburg isn't that pleasant but hell I shouldn't complain after 2-3 years of little to no use of one of my 5 senses. I stayed in the house we rented keeping tabs on El Jefe while Glenn, Jon, and Marnie rented inner tubes and floated down a river. I didn't mind; I just laid on the couch, watched TV, and shared a box of vanilla wafers with Brenden.

I watched The 5th Element and The Whole 9 yards, which made me realize how much I love Bruce Willis in Unbreakable but not much else. I also watched The Mummy which is fun but could have used deeper characters. I really think if they had brought a little depth to the protagonists and some symapthy to the antagonists, the movie would have been *great*. At least more memorable.

Monday I felt better and today I feel fantastic. I'm also busy as hell so sayonara.

Oh, yeah. I forgot my camera and Jon forgot his memory card for his camera, so no pictures of the trip. It's a shame, because I would have loved a photo of Brenden in his car seat strapped into the plane.

Oh! one other thing. Remember me mentioning trying to teach Brenden animal sounds? ("This is a cow! Cow! Cow goes moo! This is a duck! Duck goes quack quack!") Well he astonished all of us when I handed him his little sheep and asked: "Brenden, what does a sheep say?" He replied, "BAA!"

He didn't do that just once; he now does it repeatedly. He still hasn't learned how to quack yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandy, it is amazing how much better Helly's allergies are since she & Alan started getting rid of carpet and putting in faux wood. We did the same at our shack,er house, except for the bedrooms, and as soon as I can scratch up the money, we'll do those too. It's incredible. Plus, the floors are (to me) much more quickly cleaned!

Mikey

PS- sounds like you have a mighty smart monkey boy on your hands!

Topcat said...

Hey, Mikey:

I'm looking forward to getting rid of that dank 70's dungeon chamber look of our house.

Yeah, monkey-boy is pretty smart, except he's developed this odd habit of leaping off of furniture. I had no idea skydiving was genetic. Poor kid!

-Sandy