Friday, August 25, 2006

Cowgirl bugging Mom


Cowgirl bugging Mom
Originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.
I still haven't done a Month 14 letter to Brenden and it's almost month 15:

Dear Brenden: you now have 4 molars in addition to your 8 front teeth. Stay off the coffee table!

Okay now onto something else. Since 24 and Battlestar Galactica are in hiatus for the moment, I have turned to other things. Since American Idol is in the same state (thank goodness!) I have been catching up with The Office reruns. I have seen a few episodes here and there of the British series so I caught the first season of the American version. While I'm one of those people who find Steve Carrell funny (sue me) I was on the fence about this series. But I am loving this second season. The Office is of course the Hell's eye view of working in the small-time corporate world, and it owes it's DNA not only to the wickedly funny BBC series but to of Course Mike Judge's Office Space.

Yes the series is made by Steve Carrell's Clueless Boss from the Bowels of Purgatory but I think all the characters are what makes it so funny and appealing. They are recognizable. There's the harried secretary who also spends too much time working on her wedding on office time, the slacker/practical joker who slacks too much and is obnoxious, there's the co-worker from outer space who brown noses so much it makes even the boss uncomfortable, and the temp worker who treats his job like a jail sentence.

I'm also watching The 4400 even though I'm only sort of blah about it. It's something to watch while I'm waiting for better shows to come back on.

As far as movies go I finally got to see V for Vendetta. I'm all about movies where people fight the system and I liked this one, but am a little iffy about it because of what V did to Evie. You know what I mean if you saw it. If I had found out someone did that to me I think it would have earned him at least one punch to the 'nads.

We re-watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom the other night and while I'm not fond of the constantly screaming Kate Capshaw I always defended this movie. I liked it better than the third movie and I still do, but this time around I noticed how sloppy Spielberg's direction was. There are really too many sloppily choreographed fight scenes. I've seen better in TV shows.

We tried to watch The Island last night but the DVD we had received was too scratched. So we watched Zathura instead, a cute little kid's movie about two brothers who play an old board game about outer space and end up there. It was fun, but cuts close to the bone in the beginning as a divorced dad tries to keep the peace between an older 10 year old son who is a bully, and a 6 year old son who is a spaz. The movie did great in portraying the brutality of siblings but of course when they go through an adventure together their relationship becomes more loving.

I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing, but BBC America has been running a small series of movies which are remakes of Shakespearean plays and I taped "Much Ado About Nothing" which features my favorite redhead who plays the part of Benedick. This re-telling takes place in a television news room, with Benedick and Beatrice being bickering co-anchors, and Hero being the somewhat ditzy weathergirl. I have it TiVo'ed but I have only seen part of the ending. It looks fun, though.

I go see the hottie surgeon today. I finally have run out of happy pills, which I'm unhappy about but then again they have kind of lost their effectiveness after taking them for two weeks. I have been able to smell a little bit.

And back to Brenden: he's had a constant runny nose for a while. I suspect allergies. You know what I think? Rise in use of carpeting in homes - rise of allergy sufferers = mere coincidence? I think not! Jon, Brenden and I are flying to Gatlinburg today after work for a 3 day weekend. We're celebrating our 7 year wedding anniversary. When we get back, we're going to rip up all the carpeting and replace it with faux wood flooring.

No comments: