Wednesday, August 30, 2006

R-A-M-B-L-I-N... apostrohpe....



Once I get dosed up on Afrin, I can breathe! I can smell!!! I made something with garlic and onions last night just because. I unfortunately also fried something and I can't get that fried chicken smell out of my nose.

More viewing notes:

Posiedon is a remake of the old Gene Hackman disaster movie. Instead of Hackman's Priest with and Attitude, we have Josh Lucas' Reluctant Hero and Kurt Russell's Overprotective Dad (code name:Dead Meat) leading a diverse group to the bow of an overturned ship to try to escape before it sinks. Actually in the original I don't think it ever sank - it was just a matter of getting the hell out of there. This new version added some urgency to the wanting-to-survive-ors' plight. Hey I liked it but I'm a sucker for disaster movies. This one didn't try to pretend to be anything but what it is. Hell, the only surprise was not that Kevin Dillon's Obnoxious Gambler died, but how fast it happens. And it was satisfyingly brutal, too. I'll watch anything with Kurt Russell, anyways. Just because.

I'm salivating at the thought of a remake of the Towering Inferno. This time, instead of Paul Newman as the Architect and Steve McQueen as the Fire Chief, it can be Clive Owen and Bruce Willis, respectively. I don't really care about Mr.Owen, he just has some standard good looks and I think he'll play well against Willis' no-nonsense tough-guy fireman. I'll give Harrison Ford some work - he can over William Holden's role as Wealthy Building Owner, and his beatiful Daughter A.K.A Trophy wife to the Evil Contractor who Cut Corners (Susan Blakely and Richard Chamberlain in the original) can be played by Sarah Michelle Gellar (just trying to get her work other than Japanese Horror Movies) and Josh Lucas. He played a decent guy in Posiedon but he can be an excellent scumbag. See Hulk for details.

Let's see: the O.J. Simpson role as Security Guard can be played by whatever rapper is trying to become a movie star. Forgive me, I'm just not up on that stuff. But we need more ethnicity than that, so the Mayor (originally Robert Vaughn) can be played by Laurence Fishburne and Benjamin Bratt can play the Boss (Robert Wagner) having an affair with his secretary (I forget here). And because this is the 21st century, instead of pandering to older people with the Inept Conman (Fred Astaire) and his Willing Mark (Jennifer Jones), we'll have to throw in a couple of Teen-Aged Lovers (just like what Posiedon did when they got rid of Shelley Winters' and Red Buttons' characters!) and I don't care who play them. Maybe Kurt Russell can show up as the Overprotective Dad who ultimately sacrifices himself to save both of them. Whoops, hope I didn't spoil anything.

Last but not least (or maybe least) Jennifer Lopez gets Faye Dunaway's role - she was the Career Woman Having an Affair with the Architect. They were having problems, because his Job is in X and hers is in Y. Being the 70's, Faye Dunaway left her job at the end of the movie to be with Paul Newman. I'm sure in this updated version Clive will leave his job to be with her. After all, he's the one who designed the crappy building so maybe he should try something other than being an architect.

*Whew!* I sincerely hope that someone a-googling reads the above paragraphs out of context and starts an internet rumor about a Towering Inferno remake. Anyway, where am I? Oh, yeah:

Jon and I watched Disk 1 Season 1 of Veronica Mars and it didn't suck. I'm still not stuck to it, but I liked it enough to rent the next disc. I can see why people describe Buffy the Vampire Slayer as the template for the show - girl w/a shady rep in high school, friends are nerds, missing parent, etc. There are differences - Neptune has more ethnic types. I guess that's not fair; Sunnydale had white people, vampires and demonic monsters of all shapes and colors. That's pretty ethnic. If Richard Pryor is correct, the African-Americans stayed away from Sunnydale because they had more sense than to live among bloodsuckers. But I digress.

I like the actor who plays Veronica. She seems to be doing a capable job so far. Since Buffy is the template, I'm not holding any expectations about who ends up dating whom. It looks like it's going to get messy. Also it better be in the Buffy/Babylon 5/Battlestar Galactica category of shows whose story arcs make sense and not in the same arena as 24 and The X-Files where they just make it up as they go along. Damn, I am such a dork!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

We had a conversation last night comparing Buffy and Veronica - shows, not just characters. I think you'll be happy with the story arc. One thing we all commented on was the excellent plot consistancy. With only one gaffe - a couple episodes were shown out of order, so there's a little weirdness. But Couch Baron of TWoP will explain it all for you.