Thursday, May 12, 2005

I have become obsessed with the pool. Not only did I clean it Sunday, I cleaned it Monday as well. Monday afternoon I went to the pool store, had some water analysed, then bought chlorine shock and a 50 pound bag of sodium bicarbonate.

Pools always need chlorine. The sun helps break it down so you have to constantly monitor the levels in the pool. The baking soda is to increase the alkalinity which helps stabilize the pH. I'm not sure why all of this has to be done - I know that if it's not alkalyne it's acidic which just isn't good for the pool itself, not to mention irritating to swimmers. The Chlorine, of course, is for the sanitizing effect.

Jon mentioned to me that two weeks ago our pool resembled a swamp, and now we're about to go swimming in the same water. It doesn't bother me; all the swamp aspects have been shocked, killed, and filtered out. I don't worry about all the dead squirrels that fall into Hartselle's water reservoir so I'm not going to worry about our pool, as long as the test kit shows that the pool's water is in the correct balance.

Anyway, we have a pool pump with a sand filter which helps control the amount of debris. When I clean the pool I basically have this little scrubber/vacuum head that plugs directly inline with the pump. Using this big telescoping pole, I'm basically running a vacuum cleaner over the bottom. Big stuff like leaves I simply try to net.

So anyway; another good use for upping the alkalinity is that the pool is no longer cloudy. It was crystal clear all the way to the bottom this morning; I need one more good pool vacuuming then it will be ready for use. Most of what's on the bottom now are occasionaly clumps of silt and a few lone leaves. I didn't see any worms, frogs, birds, spiders, chipmunks or monkeys on the bottom.

I had wanted to clean it yesterday, as well. I kind of enjoy cleaning it. I'm outdoors, the pump is relatively quiet, I get to watch the water's surface and I get to zen out. But it's more work than it feels like because I was feeling literally lame Tuesday afternoon. My feet looked like sausages!

Speaking of, Tuesday's non-stress test went fine, although I fell asleep during it. I noticed my feet then when I took my shoes off. They looked so bad. I went to Wally World this afternoon and bought a bunch of stuff for a pedicure. I wonder if they will let me walk around barefoot at work? I wish. I also bought a small pillow, and right now my shoes are off, my feet are propped up on the computer tower under my desk and on the pillow, and I actually feel halfway comfortable.

Of course, I need to go use the potty again. *Sigh*.

Oh! In recognition of National Kill-a-Kitten month, I am happy to report my favorite Redhead has 3 movies being screened at Cannes: Brides, Keane, and Chromophobia. Keane finally has a U.S. distributor and will be coming out in the fall. I expect his British T.V. miniseries, "Escape from Colditz" to be broadcast on the Hallmark channel sometimes soon.

No comments: