Friday, January 21, 2005

I forgot to mention one incident at Babies R Us Wednesday night: Jon showed a little interest in what was going on as Lisa made recommendations and I scanned items. By the time we had gone full-circle around the store, I was exhausted and had enough. Jon, however, wanted to go into the clothes section. So I handed him the scanner and said "Knock yourself out".

Jon owns four times as many clothes as I do. Clothes to me are to prevent me from being nekkid in public and that's about it. If it's not comfortable I hate to wear it. Jon, on the other hand, while he doesn't "dress up" often, buys clothes like they're going out of style (heh), wears them for a while, then buys some more but won't throw or give anything old away.

I told you that to tell you this: I sat down to rest and he zapped pretty much every single article of clothing made for boys in the store. Every once in a while he would walk back to me, displaying a little outfit, and saying, "this is so cute!"

I would agree, but mainly because I didn't want to fight about it. I kept thinking about how difficult it would be to put that on the little wiggly kid but then I remembered: Jon's going to be the one taking care of him during the day. If he gets pleasure as dressing mini-Jon as a little farmer, or train engineer, or whatever, who am I to deny it?

Several friends who have had boys recently have pledged wardrobe donations, also my brother Ed's future wife Jenn is sending over a boatload of clothes. I have a feeling we will have one outfit for every day of the kid's life for the first 2 years and that's okay!

I am a little worried about this clothing thing; one evening last week Jon rushed into the computer room to show me a picture of a little toddler dressed like a yuppie wall-street broker complete with polished shoes and suspenders. He said "This is soooo cute!! We have got to get our kid a little suit like this!"

I could only stare at the picture and hope our kid doesn't axe-murder us one night while we're sleeping in bed.

2 comments:

Helly said...

Whatever else you do, will you get your kid a suit (complete with platform boots, wig and kabuki makeup) like Gene Simmons of KISS? I'll pay you. That would RULE! *sigh* Yeah, I know, Reason #7,486 why I shouldn't procreate...

Helly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.