Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I had a sonogram yesterday. The little bugger is about 4/5th of an inch long and has a heartbeat. I heard and saw it. Kinda drove the point home - I have a little person growing in my body. Yeah, I started crying. Jon was with me through the whole checkup and everything; he was a little disturbed about the doctor's exam - understandable; I think guys would just as soon keep the notion of a gynocological exam in the abstract. But he was all smiles and wonder during the sonogram.

I will be going to UAB's medical center to have an amniocentesis performed on December 20th. They will draw some amniotic fluid, and from cells they gather there they will be performing genetic testing. It will take about 2 weeks to get results. I am not looking forward to that procedure; plus it increases the chances of a miscarriage but on the other hand my chances of having a baby with a severe birth defect is about 1 in 50.

I hate all these percentage things, because they never tell you how they arrive at those percentages or what behaviors can modify those percentages. Look, as an old D&D geek gamer, I wanna know what bonuses and minuses I get. I know that being younger is the big thing, but doesn't the fact that I don't smoke count for anything? How about I tend to take care of myself and know what a balanced diet is (and for the most part eat one)?

I am not going to worry about that too much just yet; I just want to get to week 13 when my chances of miscarriage start to drop.

I have my court date tomorrow. More than likely I'll tell them I'm not guilty then they'll assign me another court date. Feh!

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

I know, I cried too! It's overwhelming.

Are you going to do the alpha fetal protein test and level 2 ultrasound before the amnio? Because if those first two screenings come back well, you might not feel the amnio is valuable. I skipped the amnio because the other two tests ruled out almost any problem.

Hope your day in court goes really well! Remember, weepy pregnant girls are usually innocent.