Friday, October 01, 2004

Since the presidential race is heating up because of the debates, I think it's time to discuss more in depth about the James Bond issue. Since Sony has bought MGM, one has to wonder what will become of 007. Despite a cameo by Madonna, Die Another Day did great business so Sony will not overlook MGM's #1 cash cow. Actually I guess that would be their only cash cow; one of the reasons they put themselves on the auction block.

So where is the Bond franchise right now? A script has been written; the screenwriters are saying they are focusing more on character and plot but I'll believe that when I see it. The studio wanted a new Bond pic in '05 but now it looks like it will be pushed to 2006. Pierce Brosnan says he hasn't been asked to repeat his role and everyone with an accent has rumors being bandied about including a short-lived one about my favorite flame-headed Brit. He laughed that rumor off, of course. He said there would never be a 'ginger Bond'. Too bad, I say, but on the other hand I don't want him to be Bond. I'd love for him to be a Bond villain, though.

I still say being a Bond baddie never hurt anyone's career. I mean being a Bond villain means you join the ranks of Donald Pleasance, Christopher Lee, Robert Shaw, Jonathan Pryce, Sean Bean, Robert Carlyle, Christopher Walken (yay!), Louis Jordan, Max Von Sydow, Joe Don Baker, and Robert Davi. And Telly Savalas. Okay, you might not know all of them but I do. Trust me, being a Bond villain does not look bad on a resume.

Now let's look at the Bonds: sure Sean Connery has had a career past Bond, but how long did it take for him to pull out of that shadow? He did Diamonds Are Forever in 1971. He did things, here and there, most notably Highlander but did not receive real stardom until The Untouchables in 1987. Remember his "patience is indeed a virtue" speech during the Oscars? He has a point.

Now what about George Lazenby's career? Roger Moore's? Timothy Dalton's? Actually, Pierce Brosnan has managed to have somewhat of a career outside of Bond (I loved Remington Steele, BTW).

So just about everyone with a British or Australian background is being considered. In the Australian world, despite Bana's vehement protest to the contrary, is still considered a frontrunner. I still think the idea sucks. However, he just signed on to a movie with Curtis Hanson (8 Mile,Wonderboys, and L.A. Confidential) about a poker player. He's also slated to be in Stephen Spielberg's Vengeance so when is he going to get a chance to be Bond in the next couple of years?

Also in the Australian arena is M.I.A. Guy Pearce, and Hugh Jackman. Jackman is probably the best choice out of that lot. He has that generic look down. In the British arena, you have everyone including Jude Law, Orlando Bloom, and Clive Owen. I've heard rumor of a Black James Bond, and if they are going that route I'd like to nominate Colin Salmon.

So anyways, rest assured a new Bond will be made. Whether Bond will be Black, redheaded, a chinese jet pilot; or the movie will actually have a plot, remains to be seen.

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

Every time I hear the name Hugh Jackman, I can't help thinking, "What's an Ackman, and why is it so big?"