Friday, October 01, 2004

Jon and I watchedEternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night. In a nutshell, Jim Carrey is at the end of a relationship with Kate Winslet. He finds out that she has gotten her memories of him erased so he has the same procedure. The trouble is while he's getting it done, he's living in those memories and he realizes he doesn't want to lose them.

There's more to it than that; it's a Charlie Kaufman film so of course there's more. Both Jon and I really liked it. Carrey does a good job, and I'm not a big fan of his. Every one else in the cast; Mark Ruffalo, Kirsten Dunst, Kate Winslet, and Elijah Wood, do good too. It's a romantic movie that has some nice, real things to say about relationships.

Day 7 we went back to Playa Ostional during the day to try to get photographs of turtles. Unlike the previous visit, turtles were few and far between but we did find some. We watched, and I talked with the guide, and eventually it started raining hard. We bought a bunch of beer in Ostional and drove back to the resort. On the way back, we found a local restaraunt (a soda), "Mundo Feliz" (Happy World). the menu was simple, pollo o pescado (chicken or fish). They didn't sell beer but they didn't mind us bringing our own in.

The food, besides fried chicken or fish, consisted of casados ('married', which is rice and beans), and a cole slaw with vinegar dressing (no mayo, thank goodness!). Mmm. Best food I had there.

Day 8 On the way to the airport, Jon got pulled over for speeding. A very nice policia named Jesus patiently explained to me that we could either pay $46 now or $60 at one of the National Banks. Ha! I forked over 40,000 Colones and he sent us on our way. Then it felt like we went through customs 8 times. To add injury to insult, The Stepford Wives was the movie on the flight back to Atlanta. Holy crap that movie reeked!

All in all Jon and I really enjoyed Costa Rica. Most of the people we dealt with were local folks who lived in small towns. Towns in Costa Rica seemed to consist of a well cared-for soccer field, which kind of is the town square. There would be a church nearby, then a school. You could always find a soda, plus a bar or two. I never felt like we were in danger; I suspect the only real crime out in the rural areas would by your typical crime of opportunity. Like I said, when I tried my horrid, pidgin spanish, the local people were very kind and patient with me. Also there were no bugs! Well a few sand fleas, but you would expect in the wet season for that to be a horrible problem but it wasn't! I guess that's why all the frogs and iguanas we saw were so fat and happy.

No comments: