Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Day 10 *hah*140.2 pounds.

Last night we had company over. It wasn't the food so much as the beer. Oh, well, I'll just keep going.

No update yesterday because I was working my butt off. Wish that were true; then I wouldn't have to keep eating so much tuna.

Random thinking day

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are making a new movie: Team America: World Police. I am so there, even though puppets give me nightmares. I'm especially loving the buzz: liberals are wondering if this movie will liberal bash and conservatives are wondering if it will conservative bash. Both groups: of course it will. Nothing is sacred to these guys. Explicit puppet sex scene? Oh, god, I'll never get any sleep tonight.

When did Stephen Baldwin (the goofy looking Baldwin brother. No, the REALLY goofy looking one) find God? Has anyone spotted him on the 700 club yet? He is making Christian movies. If he's happier, then good for him. I'm reminded of a South Park ep about Christian Rock - there is a huge market for Christian-themed art (music, movies, etc) and sometimes I bet some of the artists are thinking to themselves 'there's gold in them thar hills' as opposed to actual prayer. Maybe I'm being cynical. Not that Stephen is doing this.

I avoided any coverage of the DNC just like I'll studiously avoid the Republican convention. I was unable to avoid one picture of demonstrators burning an effigy with two faces: Kerry on one side, and Bush on the other. If they had constructed it as a huge pinata, a photograph of a mass of people fighting and scrambling for candy as the pinata burst open would have been a far more apt political statement. Oy, where's that deserted island I ordered? I'll protect it with sharks with frickin laser beams on their head.

Yellowtail Merlot is mighty tasty.

Brides, the latest non-BBC TV movie Damian Lewis is in, is rumored to be shown at the Toronto Film Festival. I hope a U.S. distributor will pick it up; I'll still have to wait for DVD. The trailer should be up on the web in a few days. Lewis plays an American photographer who falls in love with a Greek mail-order bride who is sailing to America on the same ship as he. A more detailed description of the plot makes it seem like a four-hanky romance, but part of me was humming 'the Love Boat' while I was reading it. But still, if he doesn't smack her around or rape her, it will be a step up role-wise.

I know a man who is having an affair with a married woman (whom I also know). Without going into details, I am horribly fascinated by their relationship. I won't judge them; if they want to be together that's their business. But am I surreptitiously watching a romance, or a train wreck? I hope the former but I suspect the latter. I know a woman who is having an affair with a married man (whom I don't know). Her life is a train wreck; but she was pretty well psychotic beforehand. Cupid is an incorrect image; Love is a fearsome rabid beast that likes to bite people on the ass.

No comments: