Thursday, June 03, 2004

Well, after my near-brush with discussing political issues in my last installment, I shall steer clear and discuss utter bullshit today.

First off, 3 more hours of 24. Yeah, I did notice the Wolfram and Hart toady from Angel, Daniel Dae Kim. Any relation to Daniel Day Lewis? And alas, poor Xander (I never knew that someone actually had that name). It's better to burn up than to melt away, I guess.

And just because I mentioned verisimilitude and gently spanked 24 about some of its computer shenanigans, I shall now gently spank it for its skydiving sequence. What was with the belly mounted reserve? He was using a sport rig - hence the 3 ring release system on his risers. And why were they not connected to anything until he left the plane? And what was with the goggles over the helmet? And the flare on the end of his foot - kinda makes it hard to see the ground, don't you think?

I'm just being mean. I did notice he jumped from a Cessna Caravan, which is a perfectly good airplane to jump from. I've done it myself, but not under those circumstances. Very enjoyable episodes, but with 9 hours left, I have to wonder what they will now concentrate on. Presumably who is trying to undermine the Presidency.

And in further news: IMDb's news and gossip pages, an ever reliable resource (pretend this is a sarcastic smiley), is reporting that that huge prick Michael Bay insists Kate Beckinsale was hired for her part in Pearl Harbor because she isn't that good looking. Jesus, if she's ugly, then I'm a troglodyte. I fully admit that Armageddon is a guilty pleasure; so it Pearl Harbor (Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett. I'm so ashamed). Michael Bay has an ego that would make Frank Sinatra look humble. If you ever get a chance, the Criterion (!!!) edition of the Armageddon DVD has 2 commentary tracks. One has some of the actors, including Ben Affleck. His comments are hilarious. He points things out like gratuitous helicopters in scenes that helped overinflate the movie's budget, and he does a wicked impersonation of Billy Bob Thornton. The other track includes Micheal Bay, who convinced himself he was creating ART. He is a pompous, perambulating penis.

No comments: