Friday, June 04, 2004

I'd like to welcome a new reader; well, somewhat new because I don't know when he started reading it. Can't get mad at him for not telling me because I didn't tell him I had started writing it. Hi honey! >>Smooch!<< Love you!

More 24 last night but only 2 episodes because Jon got back from work late. He had a large group of tandems yesterday so naturally it rained and was cloudy most of the day. He banged up his leg on landing and was limping pretty bad when he got home. He also suffered an allergic reaction to a couple of ant bites on that same limb. His foot was all swole up. Not his day.

The 60th anniversary of D-Day is this sunday. The Hitler channel will be showing plenty of documentaries. I'm particularly interested in any interviews with the 101st Airborne; kind of got caught up in their stories because of Band of Brothers. I'm especially fascinated by Richard Winters because by all accounts Damian Lewis's portrayal was dead-on and Winters is really that honorable a man.

Apparently his mother had been a Mennonite (he's from Hershey County, Pennsylvania) and he had a strong religious upbringing. Despite this he only seemed intolerant of incompetence. His best friend, Captain Nixon, was a raging drunk and he never judged him. Matter of fact, in one of the most un-pc things I have ever seen on a t.v. show, Winters gave Nixon the first shot at raiding a humongous wine/booze cellar that they captured from the Nazis. By all accounts he was a just leader who wouldn't needlessly put his men in harm's way. He took "follow me" to serious extremes.

I saw parts of Point Break last night, which is a hysterically macho movie. the director, Katheryn Bigelow, has as bad a raging case of man-love as I do; it really shows in this movie. Anyway, FBI agent Johnny Utah (*SNERK!*) goes undercover in a group of California surfers, let by Bodhi (Patrick Swayze), because he thinks they might be bank robbers. Surfing, drinking, chases, and skydiving, ensue.

I won't rag too hard on the skydiving scenes - they were ridiculous; but the photography was beautiful and I think they did a great job of capturing the beauty and excitement of a skydive. This movie is one of my favorite mindless entertainment movies. Plus Keanu is such a joy to look at.

No comments: