Tuesday, June 01, 2004

A rather uneventful Memorial Day weekend - it was marred by weather. I taught a ground school saturday morning - one student.

She did okay on the jump. Most people tend to overload on their first AFF jump anyway. She passed. The only other jump I did all weekend was a coach jump with another Sandy.

I played a protracted game of Civilization III most of Sunday and Monday at home. I did go back to the DZ Sunday night; went to bed at 10pm and was awakened for a tornado warning. Ah, Springtime in Alabama! The Air Evac people came and knocked on our trailer (Jon and I bought a camper and we stay there during the weekends) to warn us. We put our airplane indoors and waited out the storm. It was somewhat disappointing - no hail, no horrendous gusts of wind, no tornado, just lots of thunder, lightning, and rain, rain, rain.

So I went home Monday morning and let the obligatory frog out of the pool skimmer and played on the computer. I eventually stopped, and started reading Endymion, by Dan Simmons. Good far future science fiction - it's the sequel to Hyperion and the Fall of Hyperion. I'm kind of annoyed it's written in first person. I don't like first person novels.

Monday night Jon brought a stray skydiver home. The three of us ate Chinese food and watched Black Hawk Down, about the Somalian operation that went to hell in 1992. I'm very fond of this movie because it has 3 - count 'em, 3 listees: Jason Isaacs, Ewan MacGregor, and Eric Bana. It also has one of my guilty pleasures: Josh Hartnett. Sorry, I think he's adorable. He's in the same group as Damon and Affleck, and Keanu Reeves.

The rest of the cast isn't too bad, either: Ron "hottie from E.R." Eldard, Tom "Sorry, Heidi" Sizemore, Orlando "Legolas" Bloom, Jeremy "Don't be that guy" Piven, Sam Shephard (for such an earnest looking fella, he writes some outrageous plays), Ioan "It's pronounced YOO-an Griffith!" Gruffudd, and Ewan "I have a better American accent than that other Ewan" Bremner. Oh, can't forget William Fichtner, who is rapidly becoming one of my favorite character actors. He's not that good looking (although I was deeply impressed with his nekkid bod in the highly recommended Go) - he's more ordinary than anything, but he's a damn good actor.

Oh, the movie? Erm, these Rangers and Delta Force soldiers try to kidnap some Somalis and find themselves in serious doo-doo when the entire town of Mogadishu tries to kill them. This movie is a keen illustration of the difference between highly trained soldiers and undisciplined mobs (over 1,000 somalis were killed compared to the 19 soldiers). It also is a keen illustration of why the good intentions of busybodies are never going to be appreciated. A very relevant movie to watch considering what is happening over in Iraq.

So! Umm, how was your weekend?

No comments: