Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Jon and I watched Starship Troopers last night. This silly movie has an unreasonably high entertainment value to me for some reason. It would have been better if the people who made the movie hadn’t tried to hammer the fascist elements of the story over our heads. Heinlein would have been perturbed.

Nonetheless, any movie with both Michael Ironsides and Clancy Brown can’t be all bad.

We didn’t go to the gym this morning; Jon wanted to sleep in. Again, I was slightly irritated with a change in routine, but then I went and slept for another 2 hours.

My dieting has stalled out; I will wait until the weekend to see if I remain stalled. If I do, I will do something no one recommends – a 24 hour fast. For some reason it helps me, and I only do it on a rare occasion.

I have found a new favorite TV show: Good Eats on the Food Network. The host, Alton Brown, has a funny, breezy style (and is it just me, or does he look like Thomas Dolby’s slightly more stable younger brother?). Instead of the normal cooking show formula of “This is what we’re cooking today here are the ingredients mix them this way voila!” Brown always goes into the history and philosophy of what he’s cooking. He had one show dedicated to the perfect Macaroni and Cheese dish. Hell, I enjoyed a recent show on nothing but Butternut frosting.

He is not a purist; if frozen vegetables work for a dish Brown is not afraid to say so. He is more likely to visit a hardware store for a specific kitchen tool as a specialty shop. He freely admits that a cake from a store-bought mix is tastier and moister than what you can whip up in the kitchen from scratch. I draw the line at putting store-bought ice cubes in brewing wort, but if it works for him, I won’t knock it.

I can’t help but like a man who has flames painted on his KitchenAid mixer.

No comments: