Thursday, January 22, 2004

Hooray! I ran 2 miles in 20 minutes at the gym today. I recovered pretty quickly, too.
Back and Biceps today; everything at 3 sets of 10 reps:
Back: Lat Pulldown 80 lbs, Machine row 70 lbs, Back Flyes 10 lbs.
Biceps: Preacher EZ Curl 50 lbs, barbell curl 50 lbs.
I also did wrist curls w/ 8 pound dumbbells; 4 sets of 15.

I hinted that I was a Dungeons and Dragons geek when I was younger. Indeed, I played fairly constantly from the ages of 16 to 32. I spent a great deal of that time being a dungeon master. I truly hated that term.

Some of my players were all for calling me ‘dungeon mistress’, but I nixed that. ‘DM’ was just fine. I joked that Game Operations Director was acceptable, but I stole that idea from someone.

I was 32 when I started skydiving. My players got all upset when I sold all of my carefully hand-painted miniatures (I had about a thousand of them) to buy a new rig.

I still play but only on the computer: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and the new Temple of Elemental Evil are based on the actual Dungeons and Dragons rules. Many other games for Fantasy Role-Playing have been implemented and I have pretty much played them all.

I have played them all with the exception of Multi-User games, like Ultima Online or Everquest. I don’t have the time to spend 14 hours a day on line building up a character, like the adolescent boys who normally play these games do.

Sometimes I miss real gaming – in other words spending Friday night at someone’s house, maybe for 6 to 10 hours, bullshitting, drinking Coke, eating pizza and Doritos, and rolling dice to kill monsters.

That will teach me to get a life.

The all-time computer game that chewed up most of my time was Civilization II, a turn-based strategy game where you took a stone-age village into a civilization capable of colonizing space. You had to get brutal on your (computer A.I.) opponents though or they would stomp all over you. There is nothing like going to war with Mahatma Gandhi or Eleanor Roosevelt because you didn’t want to fork over some hard-gained tech to him or her. Power-hungry bastards.

I played Civ II so much I gave the cd to a friend to hide from me. After three months, he gave it back and I went right back to playing from the moment I got home from work to whenever I got tired.

No comments: