Friday, February 25, 2011

Investigating the Kitchen


Kitchen, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

I'm slack, I know it.

We had our first thunderstorm in our new house last night. The winds got up to 60 mph. No damage to us but there was a tree down in the park. 4 or 5 more good storms and the park will be treeless.

Yesterday I stayed home and waited for repair guys. Our toilets were making funny burble noises so the roto-rooter guy came out and hunted for the septic tank. He said it hadn't been emptied in like forever. He also had to clean out the drain pipe between the septic tank and the house - could someone tell my why anyone would use cheap trailer pipe, not even a quarter inch thick, for sewage? I've priced PVC pipe at Lowe's and it's not that expensive. If you already have the damn trench dug, put in the good stuff so you won't have to do it again.

Still, I'm loving the new house. There's so much room compared to the old house. I've already bitched about the stove top, and the laundry room is claustrophobic. Other than that, and the cheap-assed repair work I've seen (all easy to fix correctly, thank goodness), I'm pretty happy.

For the kitchen we're going to put in a longer island with a gas range in the center. I've already ordered the range. We're also going to eventually take that wll out where the oven is so the kitchen will be more open to the living room.

That reminds me: looks like we have the airplanes sold. We just got wired the remaining money. I'm not going to breathe easy until the new owners take possession of them. Then we have to jump through all the fun hoops to close the business.

So next on the agenda, besides closing the business, is getting the old house on the market. In the meantime, next month we're going on a cruise. Yay!

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

Hey - glad to see an update. I think your kitchen looks awesome - I mean, it's huge, and you have that island thingy - I've always wanted one of those. I'm glad to hear you like the house. I hope there are no last minute glitches with the planes. Will skydiving still be part of your or Jon's life?