Friday, May 22, 2009

Canon Fodder


ST XI Kirk-Spock, originally uploaded by corrini.

So my brother and I were talking about movies on IM, and we were discussing the almost uniform hatred and disgust regarding Terminator Salvation. The big reason I wanted to see Star Trek over this movie was because the director of the Terminator movie also directed the Charlie's Angel's movies. And the writers wrote Catwoman.

It's funny how changes to stories can affect people differently. I had no problem with the changes to Star Trek and I loved the original series when I was a kid. There's a change to the canon of the Terminator universe in the new movie that really pisses me off so who knows when I'll get around to watching it on DVD.

Anyway, Ed pointed me towards Harry Knowle's review. Here's the opening salvo:

It is a very rare thing for a film to shit squarely on my open and unexpecting eyes to such a degree that absolute hatred and loathing festers out of my every pore… but McG managed to do it with TERMINATOR SALVATION..

We ended up discussing critics, and I mentioned my favorite, MaryAnn Johansen. She trashed Terminator Salvation, too. She and I have VERY similar tastes in movies so I have come to trust her judgements implicitly.

Then while talking with Ed for some reason I yet again mentioned Star Trek and how MaryAnn wrote an article about how everyone thinks that female fans of the Star Trek series all went for captain Kirk and how that is totally not true. Ed was surprised when I told him that (old Trek or new) chicks dig Spock. Why is this a surprise?

6 comments:

Ileana said...

We Totally dig Spock ...when I took Jon to Universal many years ago (he was twelve) we did the virtual reality show of Star Treck....I chose Spock, of course.........did you ever hear of Puerto Riquena portraying Spock????It was great...he never had it soo good....
PS I have a video (cost me then $22.00) to prove it...):):
We had a super great time....

Topcat said...

Hey, Ilu:

I remember that video! You showed it to me once. I know you're in Oklahoma, but I hope you get see the new Star Trek soon. Awesome movie!

Anonymous Me said...

I just saw it for a second time yesterday - I hardly ever see movies twice in the theater anymore. Once is a major undertaking.

Topcat said...

Nancy: I'm jealous! I'd love to see it again before it leaves the theaters. I'm racking my brain and I swear I think the last movie I saw twice in the theaters was The Matrix.

Helly said...

Alan and I went to see it yesterday. Generally I dislike time-travel plotlines but this movie was good enough for that not to be a detractor.

I want to see it again, too.

Lisa Erin said...

Still haven't seen it. Suspecting it'll be viewed here when it hits DVD. I have 'issues' with it. Use to know a key player in it's creation, and they've rubbed me the wrong way on some things during interviews for the film.