Monday, March 16, 2009

The Rest of the Trip


Charlotte Amalie Harbor, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Wednesday was St. Thomas. Jon did a scuba excursion and brought back nifty photos including turtles. Brenden and I took a taxi to Red Hook (30 minute drive), took the Red Hook ferry to St. John (20 minute drive) then caught a taxi to Trunk Bay (20 minute drive) and spent 2 hours on one of the most beautiful beaches anywhere, then we went back the same way in reverse order. It was exhausting. I wanted to see St. John again, but the anxiety about making it back to the boat on time kept me from enjoying it as much as I should. We should have just found a beach in St. Thomas. Despite me going it alone Brenden was fairly easy to herd (for Brenden).

Turtle Dancing

Wednesday night and Thursday were all ship days and kinda bumpy. It didn't bother us much which is a blessing. People more vulnerable to motion sickness most likely had problems. I can't remember what we did on Thursday but I remember during one of Brenden's stays at the Kids club Jon and I watched Bolt in 3-D. Now for me watching a 3D movie on a rocking boat was fun, but your mileage may vary. The movie, by the way, is enjoyable and should have done better at the box office.

Friday was Castaway Cay day, and the Cay in the Bahamas is a private island that Disney bought and Disney cruisers have for their exclusive use. In a nifty marketing move, Disney parked one of the sets for their Pirates of the Caribbean movies on a sandbar so the first thing you see when pulling up to the island is the Flying Dutchman.

IMG_2779

We went to the beach, ate lunch, and then while most people were still on the island Brenden got almost exlusive use of the ship's pools. I walked around and took photos. We kind of overdid the photos - the digital age rules. We took over 300.

Entrance to Lumiere's

Saturday... I don't want to talk about Saturday. By that time I didn't want to leave the ship. Not because of the drinking or the food or the entertainment, but because it was great having someone else do the cleaning and cooking! Our stateroom host, a nice young man named Jojo, was fantastic and I wish I were rich enough to hire him away from Disney. I miss him. *Sniff!*

No comments: