Wednesday, January 21, 2009

This is not where we were


Action!Brenden, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

The family flew to Manchester, New Hampshire last Friday to spend an extended weekend holiday. We stayed at Chez Boykin, my brother and his wife's lovely home in Andover, Massachusetts (photos soon come) and despite our raging monkey boy and our propensity to supply him with missile weapons (of the Nerf variety, but weapons nonetheless) we had a terrific visit.

We arrived Friday afternoon and yakked with my brother Ed and I cooked dinner. Jen was driving back from New York (yuck) and we drank some beer and relaxed an monkey boy got aquainted with Blue and Dascha, their Siberian Huskies. B got scared pretty bad at one point when he startled Blue by approaching him from behind. Blue barked at him very close to his ear so B cried some but after that Brenden learned not to sneak up on a Siberian Huskie. They got along pretty well after that. Brother Ed was highly entertained by Brenden trying to give Blue orders: "No, Doggie! Stay! Sit Down! Bad Doggie!!" Blue just stared at him looking quite perturbed that a little monkey was telling him what to do.

Dascha is timid and she avoided monkey boy at all costs. She's a sweet doggie though and was letting me skritch her by the end of the visit.

On Saturday we drove into Salem / Peabody / etc and made the rounds visiting Jon's relatives and friends. One of his uncle's lent us some snowgear for Brenden and boy did that come in handy! We also visited Robb and Erin, old friends of Jon's, who have twin sons who are six months younger than Brenden. B is big for his age and they are small for their age so he looked like Gigantor next to them. Nonetheless they played quite well together.

Sunday was SNOW DAY! I wanted snow and I got it! I can't tell you how many times over the last 6 or 7 years I have woken up and ran to a window because the weather guys have promised snow and the delivery FAILED big-time. Well I woke up, looked outside, and was startled to see thick fluffy snowflakes falling. I ran to look in the driveway and there was already 3-4 inches laying on top of our rental car.

It snowed snowed snowed snowed all day! We went for a walk with Jen and Ed, and I learned an important lesson about bitter cold and snow. If you dress right you won't freeze. (Duh). Jen graciously lent me her Marge Gunderson hat and I had bought some cheap but snuggly boots so I was fine. B looked like that kid in A Christmas Story and he was having all sorts of fun throwing himself into snowbanks and being pulled along on a sled.

The rest of the visit was fun, too. I wish it would snow here more because it really wears out little kids. Thanks so much to Ed and Jen (who had a respitory infection, not fun!) for yummy food and a place to stay!

No comments: