Sunday, December 07, 2008

Parts 9 and 10:


Darth Vader, originally uploaded by FrogMiller.

20. Forrest Gump - Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks): Because his name has been bandied about several times on my blog lately, I'll nominate Gary Sinise as Lieutanant Dan for this spot.

19. Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction (Samuel Jackson): Yay! Definitely the best character from the best Quentin Tarantino movie!

18. Travis Bickle - Taxi Driver (Robert DeNiro): I'm not a DeNiro fan but I don't actively dislike him the way I do Pacino. I agree with Travis being on this list: they don't make psychos like Travis any more. His sickness is so understated (I mean compared to the typical movie psychotic).

17. Hans Gruber - Die Hard (Alan Rickman): Gruber set the standard for suave Eurotrash villains. I'm not convinced he should be so high on the list.

16. Neo - The Matrix (Keanu Reeves): I nominate the teen he played in Parenthood as my favorite Keanu role, or the cop he played in Speed because he is fun, fun, fuuuun to look at in that movie.

15. Ferris Bueller - Ferris Bueller's Day Off Ferris Bueller is a jackass. His friend Cameron (Alan Ruck), though, is classic. I nominate Long Duck Dong from Sixteen Candles as my favorite character from a John Hughes movie just because I wanted to write "Long Duck Dong".

14. The Terminator - The Terminator(Arnold Swarzennegger) Well, YEAH! But I want to know where the HELL is Sarah Connor! JIGSAW IS ON THIS LIST BUT NOT SPIDER-MAN! NOT CHEWBACCA! NOT SARAH CONNOR!!! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!

13. Gollum - The Lord of the Rings(Andy Serkis): I'm calm now really. WTF IS SAMWISE GAMGEE!!! WAUGH!!! WAAAAUGGGGH!!!!

12. John McClane - Die Hard (Bruce Willis): I nominate Willis' David Dunn from Unbreakable. Yeah I know: who? But it's my favorite Bruce Willis performance. Go back and watch Die Hard now - Willis is still stuck partway in Moonlighting mode.

11. James Bond - Goldfinger (Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig, and yes I wrote this from memory, why do you ask?): I'm not surprised to see Mr. Bond on the list. I am surprised he's not higher up, especially from a list compiled in Britain.

10. Vito Corleone - The Godfather (Marlon Brando) Well no duh. I'm surprised Dr. Evil (Mike Myers) is missing from this list though. No Spider-Man, no Chewbacca, no Sarah Connor, no Sam Gamgee, no Dr. Evil. This list totally blows. *Sigh*.

9. Ellen Ripley - Aliens(Sigourney Weaver) Hooray! Okay it doesn't totally blow. One of my favorite characters from my favorite movies. But but but, where is Hudson (Bill Paxton)? I'm going to start crying again...

8. Captain Jack Sparrow - Pirates Of The Caribbean (Johnny Depp): In his place I nominate Prince Humperdinck, Vizzini, Fezzik, Princess Buttercup, Inigo Montoya, and the Dread Pirate Roberts.

7. The Dude - The Big Lebowski (Jeff Bridges): No, no no no no! No! I nominate Bruce Boxleitner as the titular character from Tron here instead. So there, Jeff!

6. Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark (Harrison Ford): Mr. Ford has 2 characters in the top 10! Way fine by me!

5. Dr. Hannibal Lecter - The Silence Of The Lambs (Anthony Hopkins): Fine by me. Even on my list of favorite psychos he's in the top 10.

4. Han Solo - Star Wars (Harrison Ford):Woo Hoo,my favorite Star Wars character! Next to CHEWBACCA! No, I like Solo more; I'm just bitter is all.

3. The Joker - The Dark Knight (Heath Ledger): It's too early! I haven't even seen this one yet. It's on my to see list. You know, I just realized I haven't even seen Brokeback Mountain yet. Is Jake Gyllenhaal nekkid in that one? Is he nekkid with Heath? I thoroughly enjoy never minded gay love scenes if the guys are cute. Yeah I'm a sexist pig sue me.

2. Darth Vader - Star Wars (James Earl Jones, David Prowse): He should arguably be #1 on the list. Daniel Day-Lewis's left foot has more right be there at number 1 than the guy who is:

1. Tyler Durden - Fight Club (Brad Pitt): CHEWBACCA! SARAH CONNOR! SPIDER-MAN! PRIVATE HUDSON! DR. EVIL! MAD MAX! KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! Jebus H. Chocolate chip cookie, The Sta-puft marshmallow man from Ghostbusters makes more sense here than this bozo! I tried to watch it once because I do like Ed Norton but I got bored real fast.

So there you have it, what 17 year old British kids think the top 100 greatest characters of all time are. SRSLY though: Tyler Durden?

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

Who was missing for me:

Billy Kwan - The Year of Living Dangerously (Linda Hunt) (My number one, of course.)

Inspector Cluseau - The Pink Panther, etc. (Peter Sellers) (A huge omission!)

H. I. McDunnough - Raising Arizona (Nicholas Cage)

Jane Craig - Broadcast News (Holly Hunter)

Harold - Harold and Maude (Bud Cort) (Was this movie on the list and I missed it because how could it not be?)

Also, Maude (Ruth Gordon).

Nigel "It goes to 11" Tufner - This is Spinal Tap (Christopher Guest)

Blane "Can I borrow your underwear for 5 minutes" McDonough - Pretty In Pink (Anthony Michael Hall) (my Brat-Pack pick)

Dorothy Michaels - Tootsie (Dustin Hoffman)

You mentioned many other omissions that I agreed with. I'm pretty sure I have more, but I'm too tired to think of them.