Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Vacation Recap


usatbeach, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

We flew to Tampa last Monday (the 22nd) to spend Christmas with my dad and his wife, Ileana. Jon decided to take the King Air so it took about 2 and 1/2 hours. We had a good time, especially of course Brenden, who divided his time between playing on the Nick Jr. site on the web and frolicking about in grandpa's spa. And then of course on Christmas day he had tons of toys to play with (including his two choo-choos, which he loves, of course).

On Christmas eve we spent the day at Busch Gardens. They have a train that goes around the park so we had to ride that. Brenden and I went on a log flume ride while Jon did one of the many rollercoasters. Brenden cried after we got off not because it was scary but because he couldn't get back on immediately and do it again. By then his dad had finished his ride so they went back on the log ride.

We finally got over our aversion to letting Brenden use the camera and he was snap-happy on the trip. I was totally surprised, while poring over the photos, at how many of Brenden's pictures were really good! I deleted a bunch of photos of his thumb and out-of-focus extreme crotch shots.

We also went to the beach twice. The first time we weren't really going to stay long but Brenden was in Valhalla so we stripped him to his underoos and let him splash about for a little while before going to eat.

We were supposed to leave on Friday but the weather was really horrible up in Alabama. We saw a movie, Marley and Me, which surprised me in that it didn't suck, and then Jon decided to get the King Air home while Brenden and I would stay an extra day and fly commercial back on Sunday. I heart Southwest Airlines, by the way.

So that extra day, Saturday, Ilu took Brenden and I back to another beach and B and I frolicked in the freezing water (68 degrees!) and built sand castles with Ilu and took our time. We ate out again once Brenden had his fill of the ocean.

Back home I went to take a shower while Ilu watched B for me. Brenden had a severe moment of trauma: he let Beary Bear fall to the floor and the two puppies (dad has a new Shih-tzu and they were babysitting my brother Jonathan's dog) attacked. Brenden was hysterical but Ilu was swift and rescued the bear before it was torn apart. Beary Bear suffered no damage but he smells a little like doggy breath.

Speaking of Brother Jon's dog, I can't remember what breed it is, a Shiba something, but he referred to it as a Japanese bear hunting dog. I had a moment of wiseassness and asked: "Is that a Japanese BEAR hunting dog, or a JAPANESE bear-hunting dog?" I was ignored.

All in all it was a good vacation, except I have been sick for the entire month of December: 2 back-to-back sinus infections and now a cold. I whine too much. Some good news though - I had my first mammogram since my surgery and everything looks fine.

3 comments:

Helly said...

A Shiba Inu! Inu is the Japanese word for dog!

I have to go for my very first mammogram on Friday and I is scared.

Alan Bowman said...

extreme crotch shots - that would be a great name for a punk band.

Glad to hear that you guys had fun in Florida, and that your mammogram (or as Helly calls it, the "boob smashing") was OK.

exMI said...

Have you read the book Marley and Me? that book saved the life of one of my dogs once. I figured if the guy didn't kill marley I probably should finish off Zoe.