Saturday, November 29, 2008

Say Cheese


Geese, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Speaking of The Stand, the Sci-FI channel is re-running the miniseries as I type. It's a boring scene right now, so I thought I'd make some useless comments:

1) The miniseries is quite faithful to the book, and therefore suffers the book's same problems. Namely, the first part of the book is total kickass horror as most of humanity gets offed by Captain Trips, and the second part has some adrenaline spillover so it's pretty interesting as the survivors try to hang on then band together as they start realizing they share the same dreams / nightmares.

But then the third part is pretty DAMN BORING as we wait for SOMETHING, ANYTHING to happen! The Ad-Hoc ruling committee of Boulder, Colorado just isn't that scary. The fourth part picks up the pace but it ends with a mighty WHAT? when God shows up to put the smackdown on the walkin dude and also destroys some pretty interesting characters in the process.

2) The miniseries opens with Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper". Just like for the generation behind me finds it impossible to listen to the William Tell Overture without yelling "HI-YO SILVER!", it is impossible for the generation in front of me to hear that B.O.C . song and not yell "NEEDS MORE COWBELL!". My g-g-generation, we do both.

3) The Guy who plays Tom Cullen, Bill Fagerbakke, has a very familiar voice. I was in the middle of the third installment when I realized he does the voice of Patrick Starfish. M-O-O-N, that spells YORGYSHMORGIES!

Sorry. Brenden is spending the night with Jon and I'm a little stir-crazy.

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

Tom Cullen is Patrick Starfish. Wow. That kind of messes with my head. I loved (!) Gary Sinise in The Stand. That movie and It are my two favorite Stephen King adaptations. Oh yeah, Shawshank Redemption.