Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Avast, Mommy!


Avast, Mommy!, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Brenden rightly thinks that Halloween is the Best Day Ever - he got to wear his pirate costume to preschool and he kept it on until I took him out to trick or treat. A friend called up and wanted to bring his two kids over to canvas our neighborhood because they live in a more rural section of town. So Brenden, Andrew, and Sierra took off together and had the best time extorting candy from willing adults. JK and I were able to hang back and keep an eye on the three of them while they ran around like maniacs.

After the neighborhood was sucessfully plundered I was surprised at how easy it was to get B back into the house. I hurriedly turned the porch light on and opened the front door and hoped we'd get some trick or treaters because I had a honking sack of candy I didn't want in the house. To my surprise and delight, Brenden wanted to give candy out to the kids who came by. It was so sweet! When I was a little kid I'm sure I would have plotted to hoard the candy instead of giving it away.

I closed the door at 8:30 and Brenden had a truly awe-inspiring meltdown. He DID. NOT. WANT. Halloween to end! It took a while but I finally got him calmed down.

Early Saturday Brenden and I drove over to Athens, Georgia, to visit Nancy, Mark and Anthony. Brenden and Anthony got along well, which was great considering B is 2 years younger than A. I enjoyed talking with my old friends but I was somewhat zombiefied by not getting enough sleep the night before. I woke up Sunday with a massive migraine but fortunately I came prepared with my newly prescribed Trexamet so that turned into nothing.

On our way back I stopped at a McDonald's for lunch and it had a play area for kids. Brenden befriended a little boy about 2 years older than him and they played keepaway from the little boy's 2 older sisters. What would happen is the two of them would run up to the sisters, giggle and scream, then run and hide. The two sisters would roll their eyes at each other and continue playing together and ignore the boys. That was our weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

Anthony said he liked Brenden a lot and wants him to visit again. I thought they did great together.

Topcat said...

I'm glad to hear that! Brenden really enjoyed visiting (me, too).