Monday, September 08, 2008

What I'm Sorry I Watched


Sanctuary, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

28 Weeks Later: I enjoyed the first movie, 28 Days Later, about a man in a coma who wakes up 28 days after a plague has swept England. A virus called Rage started infecting people, and the infection is rapid (less than 30 seconds after mucosal/wound contact with blood or saliva) and the symptoms are extreme acts of violence.

Fun, yeah? I don't know, the first movie was harrowing but enjoyable, the second movie is just harrowing. 28 Weeks Later takes place (duh) 28 weeks after the initial infection. Since the spread of the infection was so rapid it was rather easy to keep the infection confined to England, and since victims of Rage had no intelligence left to take care of themselves they eventually starved to death, so people are attempting to repatriate.

Bad crap ensues when they find what they think is a survivor, but turns out she's a carrier. She has the virus but shows no symptoms. Her husband sneaks into her quarantine and gives her a kiss (neither know she's a carrier). Really bad shit ensues, and some military types try to get the 2 kids (uh oh!) of the unfortunate couple out of the area because the repatriation population are rapidly going bugshit. The military types think the kids might have the genetic answer to their mom's immunity to the symptoms of the virus.

Look, I'll spoil it now: rage-infested dad hunts down his kids. Little boy is infected before big sis manages to shoot dad dead. Little boy, however, is immune to the effects, like his mom, but is now carrying. They make it to the helicopter waiting for them (all the people who tried to protect them got offed) and the pilot, out of compassion, flies them over the channel into France. He never knew about the carrier in the first place.

We don't know the ultimate fate of the kids, but 28 days later continental Europe is overrun with bugshit Europeans. The End.

I made Brenden sleep in my bed Saturday night. I STILL HAVE the heebiejeebies. Horror movies just ain't no fun any more.

3 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

Ugh. That sounds depressing. I enjoyed the first one, too. In fact, I thought it was the best horror movie I'd seen in ages. But it had hope and love at the end.

exMI said...

I didn't like 28 weeks later. There were too many plot holes even for me to ignore and I love zombie movies.

Topcat said...

Yeah, Nancy - that's why I like the original too.

Stuart - I was too busy stressing about the kids to notice plot holes (though in retrospect, you're right). I did get one huge belly laugh when the chopper pilot used his vehicle to cuisinart rage victims. Good way to destroy a helicopter!