Wednesday, September 03, 2008

My Husband the Engineer part 395


Dada and B getting wet, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

I don't give my SO enough credit sometimes. Did I tell you about the time he fixed our car with a bottle cap? RLY! The shifter went out on our Saturn, and he Jerry rigged it with a bottle cap to get it home. He replaced the cap with something more suitable, but I'm sure the dealership would have charged us $700 for what he did with a couple of screwdrivers and stuff we had in the garage.

So anyway, yesterday morning I was pulling the garbage bin out to the curb and I noticed a nice big damp spot in our yard. Now our yard resembles the Sahara because of a big honking oak tree that is notoriously thirsty. It was so thirsty that last year during the ongoing drought it started to kill our neighbor's yard.

I realized that the damp spot started and went downhill from our water meter (uh-oh) so I pointed it out to Jon. I called the utilities folks when I got to work, and they promised to check it out. I get no call back from them, but when we get home, the mud around the water meter has been disturbed so they must have been by.

Jon decided to do some digging and after some agonizing arguments with tree roots he discovered that there is a foot of desintegrating pipe that runs from the meter into some PVC pipe that is between the meter and our house. Translation = the leak is our problem, not they city's. I can accept that but THANKS FOR TELLING US, TWITS!

We have a friend that works for a different township's utilities (I'm sure they are all nice guys and would have called us in this situation to say "not our problem") so Jon talked to him. I was was wondering; don't they make metal pipes out of brass? In this case our friend informed us it was galvanized steel. Galvanization involves coating with zinc to improve corrosion resistance, but I guess after 30+ years even galvanized steel pipe, buried in ACIDIC SOIL, will rust a teensy bit (the pipe just about broke apart at the touch - pictures to follow).

Of course we turned off the water to our house while Jon took that foot-long section of crap off the meter. We were hungry and running out of daylight so Jon and Brenden (who was helping by throwing clods of mud around the yard) jumped in the pool and washed up. We went to dinner at Logan's Roadhouse (mmmmmmm steak), then hit Lowe's. Jon will fix it after work tonight.

I figure even if you throw in the cost of dinner and the parts, Jon saved us about a $1000+ in plumber's bills. I heart my husband.

2 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

Good for Jon!!!

Anonymous said...

My pleasure, I love you too...

:O)