Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Day After Surgery


IMG_1773, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

I'm ready to talk about my boobs: I knew I wasn't going to be happy. None of the options were appealing so I chose the one that I thought would distress me the least. I've mentioned this before: I chose to have reconstructive surgery using an implant on my right side as well as a smaller implant under my left breast to even things out - had I just gotten the implant on my right it would have been perky while my left would have been a normal saggy 40+ year-old boob. Now they are both perky (sort of), but bigger than what I was used to.

The right side also had nipple reconstruction. The aureola was fashioned from a piece of skin from my inner right thigh (apparently this is a section of skin that is naturally darker). Since you can't cut a round section of skin then sew that shut and have it look normal, the doctor took a piece of skin that left a four-inch long wound. the stitching doesn't look neat, either; like he was in a hurry.

Now that it's all over but the healing, the left side is bigger than the right and I think it's noticeable. I won't bitch too much. I need to drop 16 pounds anyway so maybe I can even things out that way. I'm not happy with all the scars on my body but I can't see how they are avoidable. So I'm pretty much super-annoyed about everything but I can't really enjoy being annoyed because I was lucky.

In other news Brenden's toilet training is coming along nicely. He has accidents and some days are better than others, but he's been really cooperative with the whole process. He's come along so nicely that Jon is optimistic (as am I) and we've started making plans for a cruise next year.

We're planning on going to Puerto Rico for our 10th wedding anniversary, but Jon has always wanted to do a cruise. We've decided on a 7 day Disney cruise (Eastern Caribbean, and yes that includes the Virgin Islands) in February. Disney cruises tend to be more expensive than comparable cruises, but from everything I've read they are worth it, especially if you have kids. We'll find out!

No comments: