Friday, April 11, 2008

Short bits


Pig, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Tornadoes took out the Dixie Railway Museum last Friday so our Day out with Thomas on sunday was cancelled. I'm glad Brenden doesn't really understand things well yet because that would have been a headache to explain to him.

These women should never ever have to buy their own beers (or fruity mixed drinks, if that's what they prefer) again: Sgt. leigh Ann Hester and Spec. Monica Linn Brown.

This blog constantly causes me to snort hot coffee out my nose: Bad News Hughes. Too bad he's not writing it any more.

And I wanted to post a link that is some convincing proof that John McCain is a cylon but it's a season 3/4 spoiler so I won't.

We are going to Oklahoma soon for vacation. Yay!

Rant time:

I just wrote a $65,000 check to put on our mortgage. No, it wasn't painful at all. You know why? Because we're saving about $100K in interest.

Jon and I were listening to the Dave Ramsay show the other day and he was talking to a sadly ignorant woman who didn't want to be out of debt. Her husband did (and obviously had talked her into talking to Dave). Dave was patiently explaining to her why sacrificing now would pay off in the future, but her whole argument was that in order to buy things they would have to go right back into debt.

I don't know if she was merely ignorant or just stupid (I hope the former for her husband's sake) because I used to think like she did until I learned to run the numbers. I am going to work HARD with Brenden so he understands terms like 'saving' and 'delaying gratification'. If I had kept every dollar I have paid on interest I would be able to pay cash for real estate on St. John.

2 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

Congrats on that mortgage check! That's awesome! We're both a couple of squirrels with the savings. We're trying to shovel as much as possible into retirement - so we can afford the nice kind of nursing home that has private rooms and wi-fi. We should probably look at putting more into the mortgage, too. . . I have to email you about BSG.

Topcat said...

Thanks! Yeah, we're going to focus our attention on retirement / savings once we get through with the mortgage. Right now we could probably afford one Cheerio a day if we retired right now.