Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Pirate face: ARRR!


Pirate face: ARRR!, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

What I'm Watching:

Resident Evil: Extinction Better than the second one but I'm not saying much. If you like Milla Jovovich you'll like this movie because there's a lot of her. Yes that's a pun but it's not what you think. Actually it is entertaining but I just can't think of much to say about it.

Grindhouse Presents:Planet Terror Robert Rodriguez has the perfect eye for shlock and I always love his movies that tend towards horror (From Dusk Till Dawn and The Faculty). Unfortunately I can't unreservedly recommend this movie because of the death of a child (note to filmmakers: just pretend kids don't exist in horror milieus). Other than that awful misstep all I can say is ZOMG is this movie insane. It's kind of a flesh-eating zombie movie although those affected by the disease aren't really zombies. Those afflicted look pustule-covered super-nasty and when hit with bullets or cars they explode redly. Actually those who weren't afflicted exploded real good too. I can't properly describe the plot (not that it's important) but it's as outrageous as the special effects. I was impressed by the cast: Rose McGowan, Bruce Willis, Naveen Andrews (as a testicle-collecting sleazebag chemical engineer REALLY!), Jeff Fahey and Micheal Biehn (as brothers! Brilliant!), and Tom Savini (who sadly does more acting than makeup effects nowadays).

One bonus: before the proper movie starts we see a preview for a sadly non-existent film called Machete with Danny Trujillo. It's a blaxploitation movie except with Mexicans. Mr. Rodriguez: I would pay good money to see it for real!

Life Okay, I'm hooked. I was wrong about the entire mystery surrounding Crews' incarceration being solved. He only discovered who had done the actual murders he was framed for. He hasn't found the actual framers although he has some ideas. I like how he literally threw the Zen shit out the window when he went in persuit of the killer (unfortunately he retrieved it at the end of the ep). He slipped out of his cheerfull oddball demeanor as he tracked the bad guy down and I finally got a feel for Charlie the ex-con. Also unfortunately the writers tend to put anvils in their script (one character says Charlie went into prison innocent but didn't leave innocent which left me thinking no shit, Sherlock). TV writers are even worse than movie writers in underestimating the intelligence of their audience. Still, I'm looking forward to a full season of anvils, exasperated partners, and redheaded goodness in the Fall.

American Idol Yeah, I have to make some comments. Is Ryan Seacrest doing metamphetamines? I expect him and Simon Cowell to trade punches sometime within the next few episodes. Actually I'd enjoy that. As for the singers I don't really care. I like Jason Castro but has anyone but me noticed he looks like a Paul Ruebens with dreadlocks? Seriously.

No comments: