Friday, November 09, 2007

What's Next


Cleaning the comb, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

I wrote yesterday's post but didn't post it until today because I thought it was too melodramatic. I decided to because it's a good reflection of my mood just before my doctor's visit.

I spent yesterday calling and emailing people so most people reading know my biopsy shows breast cancer. the cells are 'pre-invasive' which I think means that they have their axes sharpened, their ballistas loaded, and are getting ready to storm the gates but haven't actually left the ducts they are lurking in.

There is no lump, or mass, but it's scattered about so my right breast is getting removed. Funny enough most women with breast cancer get it in their left breasts. Well most women are right handed and I'm a southpaw. Coincidence?

So here's the deal - I have 2 doctor's appointments on Monday and Tuesday. They are with the general surgeon (the man who did my biopsy) and a plastic surgeon. Basically after the mastectomy they are going to do a tag-team switch and then the PS will do some reconstructive surgery. I'm not sure when the surgery will be yet, but I think it will be sometime next week or the week after.

I have to add a word about the biopsy doc - he's a real nice guy. After my biopsy he and his nurse helped me outside to the hospital lobby and he told my husband to go pull the car around and he would wait with me. He did wait with me, not his nurse. That surprised me. He was pretty sympathetic too when he gave me the bad news. I seem to luck out on nice docs, or maybe they all congregate in Decatur, Alabama. Dunno.

Speaking of nice, one thing that has struck me while wading through all the web sites and literature is how supportive and loving and caring everyone sounds. Look, I'm glad my doctors are nice, and all this sure beats cold empty mechanical types, but I almost wish R. Lee Ermey would show up and tell me to "SUCK IT IN AND DRIVE ON, YOU LITTLE WUSS!!" because that would make me feel better.

2 comments:

Alan Bowman said...

What can I say here that would be appropriate? Good luck sounds too lame, but Best Wishes doesn't cut it either.

I'll just say that I'm here for you, and I'm thinking about you and hoping for the best. You've been my friend for nearly 25 years, and I hope to have at least 25 more years of you being around.

Topcat said...

Thanks, Alan. Your support means a lot to me. Don't worry; I have too much to do to check out any time soon.

And thanks, Gunny; I needed that!