Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Serious Reading


seriousreading, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

I saw Shrek 3 last night and I'm sorry to stay it is awful. The animation was fantastic - a distinct leap forward from the 2nd movie. The story, however, seemed to have been written by a bad fan fiction writer. If you don't know what I mean, track down some fan fiction of your favorite show/movie, and if they are bad enough (most are), you will feel this disjointed sensation (not unlike that sensation of just ending a bender but the headache has already taken hold and it's 5 in the morning and you have to go to work*) as characters you know and love say and do things that just don't seem right to you.

*You can tell I've been reading Douglas Adams, can't you? Don't worry, I don't write fanfic so I'll just leave that sentence as my feeble attempt and move on.

I'm down to 135 on my not-diet. I am starting to think that the 'calorie is a calorie' people are wrong - and I used to be one. I do hold that you can't lose weight unless you eat less than your body burns, but I'm beginning to think the 'insulin is everything' crowd is right.
For one thing, I do occasionally get cravings and I pig out. On cheese or ham or something like that. And I don't gain weight. I will do so should I sit down to a package of donuts, and before you say "water retention" what if I sat down to a pack of donuts every day for a week? I know I have gone days eating 2000 or more calories and the scale should definitely move up and not down if I'm eating like that.

I'm creating a defecit somewhere and it's not because I'm starving myself. If I were scientific minded, I would do some long-term studies, say go 3 months eating a 1700 calorie low-fat, high carbohydrate diet with adequate protein, then go 3 months eating a 1700 calorie high-fat, minimal carbohydrate diet with adequate protein and see what my weight does.

I have a feeling I would go absolutely bonkers on a 3 month high carb diet eating only 1700 calories, though. Plus, I'm not necessarily scientific-minded. I'll just try and stick to what's working for me.

No comments: