Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Morning Cheese



Morning Cheese, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Jon and I witnessed a car accident on the way to work yesterday - what I saw was an out-of-control SUV veer across two lanes of traffic, strike a ditch on the side of the highway, then overturn (later on Jon pointed out that it looked like one of the tires blew).

We pulled over and Jon threw his phone at me while he got out to help. I dialed 911 and babbled as he kicked out one of the windows and helped the two shaken-up young women get out of the car. I got out of our car to walk over to the two women while talking to the dispatcher. Jon later told me he had a bad moment when he saw an empty baby seat in the back of the vehicle, but the women assured him that there had been no kid in the car.

I was too excited and felt stupid. The calltaker guy needed some coherent information from me so I tried to calm down and answered his questions without rambling (I hope). I also felt like since I have had medical training (20 years ago) I should at least get close to keep an eye on the victims.

Other than nausea and cuts and scrapes (and that just-been-in-an-accident 2000 yard stare) they were ok and responsive.

Finally a police car, ambulance, and some fire trucks came so we left so that the victims could be taken care of. I noticed some things: many people pulled over to help and I wasn't the only one on a cellphone talking to a calltaker (at least I hope they were talking to emergency authorities and not their buds describing what they had seen). There are some advantages to the cell phone revolution, and I'm glad I live in a place where people will stop to help someone in trouble. Oh, and our van didn't get stolen, which is what happened to a good samaritan who stopped and helped someone in trouble in Atlanta recently. I'm still glad I moved from there.

On to Brenden news: he dragged this quilt that his abuela gave him out of his room and was playing "night-night" with it. Instead of returning it to his room afterwards I spread it out and he dumped all his Thomas the Tank Engine trains on it and plays on it like a rug, running the trains along the tracks stitched in. He has a one-track (har!) mind here lately.

We spent some time out at the drop zone on Sunday after feeding the ducks and we ended up playing "tackle mommy" on the carpets. He'd get a good running start and hurl himself in my arms, bowling me backwards. Dad got down from a jump and joined in the fun. I'd love Brenden to play baseball when he gets older but he has all the makings of a linebacker (except the genetics - you're doomed to be short, bud, despite your current size).

I paid for letting him sleep with me - he got up monday night and cried most pitifully at the gate while clutching his pillow to him. Jon eyed this suspiciously and asked me if I had let him sleep in our bed. Thanks for ratting me out, kid! The wierd thing is I never take his pillow off his bed - he uses his dad's (or steals mine).

I got him to say "wuv you" this morning! When I let him play his alphabet game on the computer he now likes to shout after the game. He'll hit a letter on the keyboard and the computer will say a word that begins with that letter and he'll shout the word back. It's totally cute ("YACHT! BAWL! DO! AYPLA!").

2 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

What an awful event - good for you and Jon for doing the right thing. I'm sure it would have been physically impossible for either one of you to just drive on by.

Topcat said...

Hey Nancy:

Actually I saw an accident back in 97 on 285 where someone lost control and slammed into a retaining wall (OUCH!). I chose not to stop because by the time I thought of it, 3-4 cars were pulling over and 1 guy was even already out of his car running over to the accident.

I always felt bad about not doing anything. I didn't have a cell phone but I should have done something. I decided if I ever saw an accident again I'd stop. I'm glad that Jon pulled over w/o me having to say anything.