Thursday, June 21, 2007

What I'm Watching:
I forgot to mention I watched Constantine while Mark and Nancy were visiting. While it's not a great movie, and despite my Keanu love I wish someone with a little more depth had been cast as the otherworld-weary eponymous character, I really dug the Christian mythology.

'Half-breed' devils and angels live on earth, spreading their respective leaders' wishes with whisper campaigns as the rest of Heaven and Hell stay out of our world because of some bet that God and Satan have. Sometimes the half-breeds cross the line and do something off-limits (like try to posess someone) so Constantine, who is apparently some sort of excorcist, spends his time hunting these offenders down and blowing them back to Hell. He does this because he tried to commit suicide when he was younger and succeeded for a few minutes but was revived. He knows he's going to Hell, so he's trying to get his sentence commuted by doing a few good deeds. Satan, however, is so pissed at him that Constantine knows that when he dies for real, Satan's going to show up himself (despite the deal) to collect his soul.

I wish the story had been handled better, but I really liked the premise.

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

Me, too. I'm going to watch it again when I'm less sleepy.