Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Looking for trouble


Looking for trouble, originally uploaded by Sandra Maynard.

Letter to Brenden Month 24

Happy Birthday, child of mine. I hope you enjoy your chocolate cake with vanilla icing and Spongebob thingies poking out of it all over the top. I wish I were there to eat it with you. ‹/mommy guilt›

Your physical skills, both gross and fine motor skills, are a quantum leap ahead of where you were this time last year. You climb everything you possibly can, which is a major hassle because I'm having to lock you out of the kitchen some times to keep you off the dishwasher, the table, the counters. I had kittens when you came out of the kitchen waving a knife around. I know that knife was in the knife block, well away from the edge of the counter!

You have improved your vocabulary, and as I have written previously, you overload the meanings of words because you have so few of them and that is classical toddler behavior.

I have noticed other words:

"Chayah!" Which means chair. Usually you say this when you are hungry and are ready to sit down and eat.

"Dowah! Door, which usually means the fridge door. You are mastering the habit of standing there, looking in the fridge, trying to decide what you want. I recall this habit irritating the piss out of my mom. Payback is hell.

"Shoo shoo!" Choo-choo, or your train set. You overload this one to mean just about any toy with wheels except airplanes. Speaking of:

"Ayahplagh" (Really!) This is your new attempt to say airplane. You also say "Keeat" instead of "keetee" when referring to the cat now.

I'm sure you have a much larger vocabulary than I'm giving you credit for, honey. Give me time, I'm learning.

No comments: