Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Happy Couple


The Happy Couple
Originally uploaded by nheiges.
This past weekend I made it to my friend Alan's wedding. I'm so glad I made it but I totally hosed up by not taking a day off on Monday. I hosed that up because I simply don't have any vacation time left. Piss poor planning on my part. I also messed up by leaving my camera at mom's so I will have to rip off other people's photos for any blog entries (thanks, Nancy!).

I did snap some photos of my mom's place, which I shall post as soon as I find the time. Mom was happy to see Brenden and B did remarkably well there even though he tried to dig up some plants and bust open a bottle of wine. He only ate a few rocks and woodchips as well as a little dirt. Mom fed him cheese so he decided she was cool.

As for the wedding - it was pretty spiffy. I was nervous as I always am in a social situation where I don't really know anyone (everyone I did know was in the wedding party). Alan's mom remembered me even though we hadn't seen each other since Alan and I were in college together. The first time I got to see Helly she was walking down the aisle and I must say she chose a very beautiful and elegant wedding dress. She walked down the aisle to a cover of "Kashmir" which was different. She also chose elegant looking dresses for her 2 bridesmaids - the dresses had sleeves and no butt bows which I think is a first in recorded history (not true I kid! - the dresses Nancy had for her wedding were nice, too). The gents wore tuxes, but the sharpest dressed there was Lachelle, who was one of Alan's groomspersons. Somebody better post pics!

I was amused by how many people greeted me with "oh, yeah! The skydiver!" when I introduced myself as Alan's friend. I was totally flattered, however, by the people who knew me from reading my blog (hi, Mikey!).

The food was tasty and the Guinness was cold and I got to exchange maybe 4 words with Helly. I feel really bad I didn't stay longer, but then again I'm happy I made the effort to go. It would have been easy to make an "I'm too busy" excuse. As Alan pointed out, Alan, Mark (and Nancy), and I made it to each other's weddings. "The circle is complete".

Congratulations many times over, Alan and Helly. I will do my best to get back over there soon so I can spend some real time with my old (and new) friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy! I wish we'd had time to 'visit' a few minutes - I do enjoy your blog. It's nice to meet Alan's friends.

I hope you'll come back soon, and have a visit.

Hello to Brendan, too!

Mikey

Anonymous said...

Not to deny a compliment, but why was I the sharpest dressed? I was dressed just like Mark and almost like Alan.

Was it the shoes? The twisty hair? The chick factor?

Topcat said...

Hey Lachelle-

I think the answer to that is 1) yes, 2) yes, and 3) yes. Seriously, you carried it well.

Anonymous said...

You're very sweet, and thank you.