Saturday, June 04, 2005

Less than 48 hours to go... I am excited, and nervous, and a little scared. Last night I had a great deal of nightmares - none about the baby, but nightmares nonetheless.

We had a pool party, of all things, last night. I didn't have to do much of anything, but I was still overwhelmed with the amount of people in the house. I went to bed early. One thing Jon did for me was to ask a young woman who is just learning to skydive to stay at the house and clean up in the morning.

Good God, Kristina! I don't think he meant 'clean the oil off the garage floor'! She did EVERYTHING! Kristina is from Lithuania and was an Au Pair for a while. She's nice and very calm. Jon and I are thinking about hiring her occasionally to help w/ Brenden. The nice thing is we can exchange her help for skydives.

So anyway, my house is CLEANER than it was last night. Can't beat that with a shovel.

I kept meaning to comment on this and it's about high time again: Congratulations many times over to Helly and Alan! They are now engaged, and that is so cool!

They both commented on how they met each other in Helly's blog: Here is Helly's story, and here is Alan's story. Alan is one of my oldest friends (along with Mark and Nancy); friends I've had since college. Only Hector and Victor, and Vasquez, have I known as long. Anyways I am sooo happy for Alan. And Helly, of course; one of these days I will get to meet her.

And I'm going to make a totally unsolicited suggestion for them: since I doubt Helly will ever convince Alan that a beach in the Caribbean is in no way the same thing as a beach in Florida or Georgia (different planets! Completely!), plus the cost might be prohibitive, I would like to suggest to them to get hitched in the Smokey Mountains, Tennessee.

Bear with me, guys! First off, befor Jon and I got out from under a mountain of debt we vacationed up there several times near Pigeon Forge. I also went up there for a friends wedding (I think it was in Townsend). Yes, it's the Redneck Riviera; that's part of it's charm!

There's a ton of things to do up there for one thing - from skiing to skeetball to shopping for cheapass tee-shirts. Plus, I always got a strange X-Files vibe from around there. I think it was caused by all the Ripley's Believe it or Not poop in Gatlinburg. Plus there's the kewl shark-infested aquarium and the spiffiest haunted house I've ever been in. But what I liked the most was the wedding I attended. It was low-key yet tasteful (in a Tennessee way) and PROFESSIONAL wedding. It was one of those Chapel O' Love deals, but for one affordable price, you could get a well-designed and well-run wedding that could be as traditional as you like. Everything ran like clockwork. I was truly impressed by the people who ran everything. Considering how nightmarish most weddings are, I really approve of forking over a wad of cash to these people and saying "do it".

All three times I was there we rented a house. Except for one that had a really shitty fireplace (gas logs BEHIND GLASS with a frickin' timer!!!!!) our experiences were good. Oh, back to that fireplace. I could pull my underwear down and stick my behind on the glass and maybe it would feel warm. The owners could have splurged on a bigger tv set and just stuck a video tape of a fire in and the effect would have been the same!

So just my suggestion to you both: if you want to plan a wedding/honeymoon not too far away with a minimum of fuss, think about Tennessee. If Jon and I hadn't done the Skydiving thing I'm sure we would have set it up there. Everything can make fun of rednecks all they want. There are some things they get right!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It always amazes me how long we've been friends. I rarely, if ever, run across or even care to run across someone from my hometown or my high school, but I've kept up with you and Mark for over 20 years.

Thanks for the wedding suggestions. We're not sure exactly what we want to do yet - we know what we don't want (the huge 3 ring circus), but figuring out what we do want is going to take some time. I will say that it will be hard to top your wedding. I can't think of anything that beats jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, on purpose, to say your "I do's".

I hope your surgery goes well. Keely had a C-section with Eliza, and everything seemed to work out fine for her. I know blogging will be the last thing on your mind, but keep us posted as best you can about how things are going. Call if you want to - email me and I'll send you all my phone numbers.