Thursday, May 26, 2005

Week 37 - make that 14 days (or less)

Yep, I'm a slacker.

Last weekend was busy - Jon and I drove to Atlanta for my brother Ed's wedding. I did the driving; and it wasn't too bad except for some thunderstorms east of Birmingham. We stayed in midtown at the Mariott Residence where Ed and Jenn had an informal get-together Friday evening. Food and beverages were served, and we got to meet her side of the family.

All of my immediate family was there, and without going into detail, if anyone was going to get written up in Etiquette Hell, it would be someone on my side. I was embarrased for this person and Ed. Let's just say I'm seriously thinking about restricting my alcohol intake severely from now on. Having been sober for the last 8 months has made me realize how stupid drunk people behave. On one hand I can't get plastered 3-4 times a week anyway with a baby in the house. On the other I'll probably need it...

But anyway Saturday morning Jon and I went to see Revenge of the Sith at Phipps Plaza, which I found funny because way back when that's where we saw The Empire Strikes Back. It was only showing at Phipps back then because it was the only theater in town that was able to project 72mm film.

I liked it better than a lot of reviews led me to believe I would. I was prepared to be disappointed but I really enjoyed it.

So we made it to Piedmont Park for the ceremony after changing in the hotel. Jon forgot his shoes so he dropped me off and went to look for a shoe store. The one he found, he said, had nothing but "pimp shoes" so he came back and stayed in his tennis shoes. He was a little embarrassed, but they opened the bar early so a few beers erased his discomfort.

The ceremony was short and sweet, and I wish I could have seen/heard it. No big deal, I hope Ed has a tape of it. They released butterflies into the air and I watched one land near me in the nearby pond. Poor butterfly struggled, but he got his wings wet. A big ugly duck swam by and turned him into an appetizer.

Speaking of, the food was delicious! And I drank club soda on ice with lime all day. Very tasty!

I lasted until about 7pm and then I was struck with how tired and sore I was. Just for sitting! So Jon and I drove back to the hotel. I tried to sleep and Jon went to drink some more/play pool with other folks who attended the wedding.

Speaking of, Hector and Victor were there, and Hector brought his new girlfriend! She came with him all the way from Detroit. I'm very happy for him.

The bad thing about the hotel room is it's extremely quiet. Jon usually sleeps with a fan turned on but here he kept waking me up because I was snoring. Finally I got up to sleep on the couch but he forced me to stay in bed and he took the couch. I would not have minded the couch! It would have been more comfortable. But at least he got a little sleep. Life sucks when you're sleeping next to Darth Vader, I guess.

We drove back early in the morning on Sunday. I dropped him off at the DZ and I headed home and slept in my own bed for a long time. It took me the entire day to recover!

So what else is new, besides the fact that my brother and sister-in-law survived the wedding and are right now blissfully enjoying the serene beauty of the Turks and Caicos?

Yesterday I went for my weekly checkup. The non-stress test was uneventful except for Brenden got a case of the hiccups and was wiggling all over the place so I kept having to move the heartbeat monitor. The doctor was pleased. He wasn't pleased that Brenden shows no signs of dropping and he's getting bigger by the minute. Next week I'm scheduled for an ultrasound on top of the NST to see how big he's getting. Doc insists he won't let me go past my due date, and from the way he was talking, I'd say there's a 60% chance of me going to the hospital to be induced sometime next week.

So from now until I'm on a daily countdown. T-minus 14 days (or less) and counting...

No comments: